Chapter Twenty-Six

Nehemiah

Fits of giggles were heard as Justice and I play-fought on the floor.

These last few days for me have been really hard for obvious reasons. As much as I didn't want to get myself out of bed each morning, I still did.

As long as I had my boy I was good.

I shielded my face as his small hands attempted to leave punches to my face. Of course, it didn't hurt, but I let out a few ow's in there to make it seem like he was successful in his fight. Little man actually knew how to fight. I don't know who taught him or what he been watching, but whatever it was is saving me a lesson.

"Okay, no more. You're going to make me cry." I stopped his hands from continuing his strikes and held him in my arms. I took both of us upstairs to mama's room to see what she was doing. She had been quiet and that's rare when she has the weekends off.

"So that's why you so quiet. You up here getting all cute and were about to sneak out on me. Who you getting cute for, Mama?"

"Boy, why are you in my business?" She turned away from the mirror she had been standing in front of to look at me. She was in the middle of putting on the diamond earings I bought for her last Christmas. I had to save up for those.

"Because you getting fancy. Look at you, got on the nice jewelry I got you and everything. Where are you going?"

"Nehemiah, I am grown! When are you going to understand that."

"Man, just tell me where you going."

My eyes followed her around the room as she continued to get all fancy. I sat myself and Justice on the bed knowing that it'd be a minute before she finished and I wasn't leaving until she told me who she was going to see.

"Mama, you hear me girl. Don't be ignoring me."

She placed her hands on her hips as she looked at me. "I'm going out with a couple of my friends from the hospital. It's the weekend son, it's time for me to go out."

"But you didn't ask me if it was okay."

"Nehemiah I don't have time to entertain you right now. You're going to make me late." She took off into her bathroom not wanting to give me any more attention while I sat back and smiled to myself.

"How you know I didn't want to go out tonight?" I questioned.

"I knew you weren't going anywhere because Justice is here."

"I was gonna ask you to babysit."

Her head poked out from in front of the door as she glared at me. "I love my grand baby but grandma not babysitting tonight. I'm going out to have a few drinks with my friends to celebrate."

"Celebrate what?" This caused me to follow her into the bathroom. I had no idea of anything needing to cause a celebration unless she celebrating my misery. Which wouldn't be nice.

"Mama got a raise. You're looking at the new chief of nurses at the hospital!"

"You lying to me?" I questioned, pointing my index finger out at her.

"No, I'm not lying to you!"

"Mama that's great!" I gave her a tight hug and told her how proud of her I was. I didn't know what this new job would entail, but it sounded important, and knew it had to be a big deal. "Why you ain't tell me til now?"

"I was going to tell you but I wanted to tell all of my babies at the same time. Yet nobody has been over recently. Something else happened I don't know about."