Chapter Thirty-One

Kendall

"You got everything or you need me to do something before you leave?" Marquis asked from over my shoulder.

"No, I'm good. My parents are taking care of everything."

"Aight," he moved himself to his bed as he waited for me finish getting ready in the bathroom. I was in the process of doing my morning skincare and once I finished that then I'd be ready to leave.

While I waited for my serum to dry up some, I looked over at Marquis through the open door. He was too busy looking at his phone to notice me.

I hadn't been spending that much time with him recently but it wasn't because of me. It was him who had been distancing himself from me. He says it's because of work, but I know that work isn't the prime reason.

I think there's been a shift in his mental state. He's not as angry anymore, instead that emotion has been replaced with some sort of sadness. He's been quiet and to himself and it's to the point where he doesn't even speak to me all that much anymore.

The only time I hear from him is when he calls to have me over or wants to go out. And then when we're together his social battery is low and I try hard to engage him in conversation.

However, my efforts end up being pointless because all his replies are dry and short.

I don't want to complain because it's nice not getting hit or yelled at for something so small. But you know at some point it becomes draining for me as well.

I know I shouldn't exert so much energy on him because this relationship will be over soon, but I can't just give up on him abruptly. I gotta pretend like I put in some effort to save us.

However, with Marquis being so distant it's speeding up the process of me ending things and giving me a reasonable reason to do so. And I have the evidence to back me up on my reasons.

Just because we're physically with one another doesn't necessarily mean we're spending quality time together. We literally just sit there and barely say anything to one another.

Other times it's me entertaining myself while he's too busy working on his computer or trying to listen to the quiet phone calls he has in his room.

So yeah, he's making this easier than I thought it would be.

Well, at least that's what it seems. We all are aware that all it takes is the flip of the wrong switch for something bad to happen.

"So what made your parents randomly want to go on this vacation anyway?" he asked when I finally left the bathroom.

"My parents just wanted us to do something as a family. My auntie is flying out and my cousins and their families are coming. It's going to be like a small family getaway." I leaned against the bathroom door as I responded to him. He wasn't on his phone anymore, but his eyes still weren't on me.

"I wish I could come. I've been so busy with work it's almost made me regret accepting the new position."

"But that's what we expected right? Higher position requires more responsibility."

"Yeah, but ion like it. I don't want to be one of those people whose work consumes them so much that they don't have time for their family."