Chapter Fourteen

Kendall

"Mama he's going to get tired of taking pictures. And I'm going to need some for later." "As long as he keeps smiling I'm gonna keep snapping. Oh snap, I turned the flash on. Kendall help me turn it off!" I laughed at my mom as she struggled with her phone.

"I don't know mama, I'm not really good with technology either." I lied, just looking for a way to end this photo-op. "Well, now my pictures are going to be messed up." She frowned.

"Don't worry, just get some more later. Is Dad almost ready?"

We had to leave soon for Justice's party and Nehemiah told me that there was no way we could be late. I wasn't driving in the same car as my parent's but I wanted to make sure that they were also on time.

You know how black people be.

"Y'all ready to head out?" My dad questioned. I almost burst out laughing at what he had on. He out here looking like somebody's uncle who nurn all the barbeque.

Justice's birthday theme was dinosaurs because he was really into that right now. However, I think my dad took the theme a little too literally. The man had on a button-up covered in dinosaurs with Jurassic Park printing on the pocket. On top of that he had on a bucket hat and them damn brown uncle shoes.

I try not to judge my parent's style and ideas of thinking because they're on the older side. But this is really showing his age and it's quite embarrassing. But there was no way this man was going to be able to find an appropriate outfit in time.

"Yes we're ready sweetie. Kendall, do you need us to pick up anything one way?" My mom asked me. "No, Nehemiah got all the last minute things this morning."

"Alright, let roll out then."

I grabbed onto Justice hand so we can begin walking to my car. Once there I unlocked and opened the back door. I buckled Justice into his car seat before hopping into the driver's seat.

I sent a quick text to Nehemiah letting him know that we were on our way. After I had my phone connected to the car to play my music I drove off.

After a few minutes my phone chimed off from a message from Nehemiah. He had just hearted my text from before.

I've been so proud of Nehemiah for the past two weeks. When I say he deserves Dad of the Year I really mean that shit. He's just shown so much investment in spending time with Justice and showing more effort in general.

Not to mention he put together Jay's party all by himself. I mean we agreed on the whole idea of it, but he's been working really hard to make it great.

Every day he's giving me and my parent's the validation that he is very much capable of being a present dad. Not that I was ever really doubtful, I was just being swayed to believe that he wouldn't be.

My mom and dad haven't acknowledged it yet, which makes me upset because in my eyes he deserves his props but they refuse to give them to him.

They still barely even talk to one another when their in the same room. Nehemiah tries, but my parents are still weary of him. He's doing everything and more than they've ever expected him to and that's still not enough.

I don't understand how much more they want from him.

I turned my music up and tried to think positively. This was Jay's first birthday with all of his family and I'm gonna focus on that rather than what things my parent's say that could piss me off.

The venue we chose was very modern and nice. Most of the party would take place outdoors since all the party vendor's activities we booked had to be done outside. Indoors would be where people could eat, socialize, and cool off if they got too hot.