Chapter Thirty

Kendall

"I can't believe your face is in perfect shape after all of that. Is it safe to assume the rest of you is like that as well?"

Dude had been all up in my face like I was some expensive piece of artwork. I don't know exactly what kind of trauma he's looking for on my body, but he was examining me like he had missed something.

"Well actually my body's kind of bruised up b-"

"Let me have a look. You want me to get you some ice?" Lifting his hand towards my shirt.

"It's not that serious. You don't have to examine me like a physician." I said, pushing his hand down.

"Yes, I do. How are you feeling internally? I can get you some pain meds if you need em."

"I'm a little sore, but nothing I can't manage. I just got tossed around a bit. I'm sure I did more damage than her."

"Yeah, that bathroom was torn up," he chuckled, "I'm pissed I wasn't there to see everything. How did everything even pop off like that."

"Do I really need to relive that moment?"

I honestly just wanted to forget about it now. It's easier said than done but I have to try.

"Not if you really don't want to."

"I do, I just feel embarrassed about it all."

"Whatever happened happened for a reason. Don't beat yourself up."

"I just hate that I ruined everything. This was your night and I messed it all up." I frowned as I looked up at him.

"Ain't nothing ruined, bunny. The only way this would've been ruined is if you ended up seriously hurt and you didn't. Which is a relief to me cuz I wouldn't be able to see you like that."

His nickname for me made my stomach drop. I hadn't heard it in so long and the fact that he was using it at all had my head spiraling more than it already was. He wouldn't just call me that to make me feel better. He only said it when he meant it.

I had to talk with him tonight. Any longer and my head might explode.

"Luckily for the both of us, I think I'm perfectly healthy still."

I hopped off the counter and headed for the stairs that led to the living room area of their house. For as long as I was in the shower and Nehemiah inspected me, I would have expected to see other people. However, it seemed that he and I were the only ones here.

"Hey, where is everyone?" I turned to Nehemiah who was walking into the kitchen rather than staying in the living room with me.

Greedy ass.

"After I got you in the car I texted mama and told her what happened. She told me that she'd take everyone to grab some food so we could have the house to ourselves. She wanted me to make sure you were alright and that you were calmed down before we met up with them again." He explained as he rummaged through the fridge.

I watched as he grabbed a glass jug and a cup and poured himself a drink that seemed to be lemonade.

"You want some?" He asked, holding his glass out to me.

"No, I'm okay."

I awkwardly sat on the couch and rubbed my sweaty palms against the sweatpants Nehemiah had given to me.

Now knowing that alone with him suddenly made me nervous. Meanwhile, he was over here acting all nonchalant.

"So, did you want to go meet with them or would you prefer to just call it a night?" His body flopped down next to me, still sipping on his lemonade.