Chapter Thirty-Eight

Two-year time jump

Kendall

"Pa, is daddy almost home?"

Justice and I sat on the living room floor as I watched him color and I worked on my IPad.

Nehemiah hadn't made it home yet and it was getting closer to Jay's bedtime. He hated it when his dad didn't make it home before he went to bed. But sometimes things happen and Miah's stuck training late.

"I'm not sure, my love. I'm sure he'll be here soon."

I hadn't spoken to Nehemiah since this afternoon so I had no information on what was going on. His routine was to call or text to let me know when he was on the way home, yet I haven't gotten that communication from him yet.

Right now it's nothing to worry about, but soon I'd reach out to him just to make sure that everything was okay.

For the meantime, I kept him busy with finishing up the picture he was drawing while I continued to focus on my own activity.

I had a little party planned next week for Nehemiah when the baseball season would officially be over.

I'm planning this party in hopes that his team wins the championship because if not...then I don't know what I'm going to do.

Last year the two of us went on a vacation together to Barbados as a surprise trip for him to celebrate his first year in the MLB.

It wouldn't have sat right with me if I hadn't gone all out for him.

Making it to the professional league was a big deal. Not only that, but the way he played and made a name for himself in his rookie year made him even more deserving of some kind of congratulations.

So I sneakily planned a trip without him knowing where we were going until we reached the airport. He was a little salty that I was able to hide it from him so well, but as soon as we made it to our resort he was kissing me nonstop for his gratefulness.

This year he told me not to do anything, but who am I to ever listen?

With his team so close to winning a championship, I have to do something for him.

With the help of his parents, I'm trying to plan a party here at our house. I wanted it to be something small, but still big enough for him to really feel the love.

Nehemiah liked for everything to be simple, but I felt like simple wasn't enough for me when it came to him. So I've had a bit of a hard time finding that balance of what to plan.

Although I'm getting opinions from his parents, their opinions are not much help either.

All this stress for a game they haven't even won yet.

"Alright cutie, it's about that time." I said after the alarm on my phone started going off.

"Bath time?"

"Mhm."

He put the crayon he was currently using in his crayon box and picked up the paper he was coloring on.