Chapter Seven

Nehemiah

When I told mama about everything that had gone down with Kendall the other day, she was just as heated as I was.

Mama understood both sides, but I definitely got all the heat.

She wasn't happy about me walking off after the big news and failed to realize how hurt I am about it all. Yeah, I shouldn't have left him like that and I understand my wrong after she yelled at me for an hour straight, but he also shouldn't have kept a secret like that from me.

Ever since that night, my phone has been blowing up with everyone checking up on me. I haven't answered anyone's messages and have been staying home. I wanted to be alone and think about what I should do and what my next steps should be.

I found out that Kendall wasn't leaving until tomorrow morning and I only had a few hours to either make it right or watch him run away again, which is what I told him to do.

Of course, I wanted to meet my son and get to know him, but I don't know anything bout being a daddy. Mine wasn't even around so how am I supposed to be there for mine?

All last night and today, that question has been going through my head and I have no answer yet.

Mama says I just need to talk to Ken since this is both of our son, but all that tension I created between us don't make it seem like it's the right thing to do.

"Nehemiah, come here please!" I heard mama yell from downstairs. Know if I took to long to get to her she'd start her yelling. She already irritable, don't need none of her heat being thrown at me today.

Getting up from my bed and running down the stairs, all the way into the kitchen, I found mama putting away some groceries.

"Yes ma'am?"

"Can you help put these groceries up for me, I'm running a little behind?" "Running behind for what?"

"I'm working the night shift tonight so I won't see you till the morning. I picked up some food so when you're hungry you can heat it up."

Mama was a nurse so it was often that she picked up night shifts. It was more money, but less time for us. Over the years it's become less of a worry with me since my friends were always around and as I got older it became easier for me to take care of myself.

"You don't have time to eat dinner with me?" "I gotta make an errand before going in." "Like what?"

"Are you my daddy? Since when you asking me all these questions? Oop my bad, maybe I shouldn't be d-a-d-d-y around you right now. I know its a touchy subject right not." She said, laughing at her own joke.

I didn't think it was funny.

"I don't wanna be left alone tonight." "That's why you have friends Nehemiah."

"Nah, they gon be questioning and asking me if I'm alright. I wanna be around somebody that's gonna act like ain't nothing happened." I explained as I sat in one of the chairs at our small kitchen table.

"And I would baby, but I gotta work or I can't feed your 6'0" self,"  I felt Mama behind me as she started to retwist my hair as a few of them had come undone.

"Why don't you go talk to him, Miah? Not just for yourself, but for everyone. That's your son and that's my grandbaby who I would really like to meet."

"I don't know how to be a dad."

"If I can fill in and take over both roles then you surely can as well. There's still time before he's gone. I would stay to talk to you some more but I gotta get ready. Just text me if you need me. I love you."