Heart in pieces

Just a heads up, this chapter begin earlier on the day —the last chapter scene of Mile and Porsche. Happy reading!

————————————

"There are ships sailing to many ports, but not a single one goes where life is not painful." ― Fernando Pessoa, .

~

Earlier on the day

The tantalizing fragrance of cooking food filled the lively kitchen. The rhythmic sound of the knife hitting the cutting board and the bubbling of the pot on the stove mixed with Porsche's grandfather's humming as he prepared a delicious meal in the kitchen.

"Yum, that smells great!" upon entering the kitchen, he saw his grandfather chopping vegetables and adding them to the boiling pot on the stove.

"A menu my grandson really needs. This grandpa of yours will even move a mountain for you," Edward turn to Porsche, winking.

"I don't like that look!" Porsche settled by the kitchen island and arched an eyebrow in skepticism.

His grandfather lowered the heat and covered the pot, allowing the flavors to meld together. He turned towards Porsche and gave a mischievous grin.

"You know there is this saying that...not saying but proven fact that abalone helps with nourishing your inner energy," Edward explained. Without waiting for Porsche answer, he headed to the other side of the kitchen counter to make coffee for kinn.

Peeling a banana, Porsche looked blankly at his grandfather. He's accustomed to his grandfather's antics, and the mischievous gleam in his eye is a sure sign that he's planning something mischievous.

"I thought you went to a wedding, not a conference?" Porsche said.

Edward chuckled at his grandson's response. He shook his head and went to the cabinet to get a coffee cup and saucer.

"There's more you'll find out at the wedding,"

Porsche rolled his eyes as he understood the implication of his grandfather's statement; the never ending babies topic.

"You seem a bit low on energy to make a miracle happen. This soup will give you a magic boost. Trust me, history testified to that," Edward said, grinning. "Let's get that belly nice and round. Ahh, luckily, the rooms are soundproof so no worries on that part,"

"GRANDPA!" Porsche exclaimed.

"Oh, the partner in crime is here," Edward said playfully as Kinn walked into the kitchen. "Sit, I had your coffee, son. And lunch is almost ready,"

"What did I miss?" Kinn said, taking a sit beside Porsche. The relationship Porsche had with his family is something he always envies. Especially with his grandfather. Their dynamic is akin to that of friends.

Porsche shot his grandfather a warning glance, but the old man just winked back.

Kinn sat back and watched the ongoing stares competition between Porsche and Edward with a smile.

"Nothing you will miss out on, but be part of," He put espresso macchiato to kinn side. "Here's to the future,"

"Thank you," Kinn said, raising his cup in a silent toast before taking a sip of his coffee and Edward wink at him.

"He likes his coffee black and bitter.....and where is mine?" Porsche said, pouting.

Porsche touches Kinn's forehead with the back of his hand to see if he's still running a temperature. Kinn's smile lit up his face as he looked at him. He wished to see Porsche in this way every single time. Ever since his grandfather came back, he has been smiling a lot more. Even though he felt unworthy of his care, he still felt thankful for this moment together.