Chapter 1 : The gig

Hope's P.O.V.

Great, so i'm being dragged along to another one of my dads gigs. I guess it could be worse, this is my dads new band, well, reasonably new. My cousin David and a few of his 25-ish year old friends make it up, my dad is the drummer, bless him, a 48 year old in a young blokes band. My dad is a self-taught musician, he is a brilliant guitarist but taught himself to play the drums for this band and he's a pretty good singer as well. My mum agrees with me that we would prefer to stay at home and watch " One born every minute " or something like " NCIS " but my dad bought me tickets to see Bruno Mars' Moonshine Jungle Tour in London in October 2013 so i promised him i would go to these gigs.

We are about to leave for the outskirts of London but i remember watching an interview with Bruno saying that he's seen bands in London that he likes. I always wish that that could be me. I love singing but my confidence levels are terrible. I can't even sing to the radio properly with my mum in the same room as me...

I kiss the picture of my boyfriend and give one last glance to the poster of Bruno performing on my wardrobe, then i shut my bedroom door and run downstairs. My dad is already waiting in the car and my mum is just in the bathroom, i unhook my phone from the charger, slip on my high-tops, grab my headphones and head out the front door.

On the way there I listen to Unorthodox Jukebox, Chapman Square and a few other albums just to get me in the mood for a gig. Typically I fall asleep halfway there, but when I wake up I hear my cousin moving his guitars from his car into the pub so i turn off my music and carry parts of my dad's drums in.

We go through the back entrance as it is easier to carry everything in, it's surprisingly homely for a  decent sized pub. My dad begins to set up his drum kit and i go with my mum to buy a drink, I hear the door open and more and more people come into the pub, it's turning out to be a good crowd.

My dad walks over and introduces me to the rest of the band, the singer, keyboard player, and bass guitarist. Their all really nice guys and i have a feeling it was going to be a good night...

10 minutes or so before the band begin to play, my cousin and her fiancee walk in.

"Oh my gosh! Sarah! I didn't think you two were planning to come?!"

"Well of course! We couldn't miss Pete's gig!"

The band begin to play, Skyfall, Break Even, Chasing Cars and a few other songs i hadn't heard before. Just before the first set is over, the band play Locked Out Of Heaven, one of my favourite ever songs! The lead singer did sing

"But swimming in your world is something spiritual -"

which kind of annoys me because i know that the lyrics are actually "water" but it was really good. To my surprise the lead singer decided to call me up on stage...

"Right then folks, before we finish the first set, we are going to have a guest performance by our drummer's daughter Hope!!! Come on stage Hope and blow us away!"

What?! What the hell was he thinking?! I can't sing in front of all these people! I see my cousin David walking off the stage and dragging me on it. Great... I stand in front of the mic with dozens of eyes fixed on my every move, I look towards the keyboard and notice it has a sustain pedal attached, i walk towards it and sit down. I've got it, I'll play 'When I Was Your Man', I'm not a skilled piano player, in fact, I can't play at all, but i'd taught myself how to play this song and played it and sang for my music exam and got 29/30 for it (A* / A+) I thought this is my best bet.