Chapter 27 : Not Again

"WHERE ARE THEY?"

"HELLO?!"

"WE'RE HERE TO HELP YOU!"

"SMASH DOWN THE DOORS MEN! THEY HAVE TO BE IN HERE SOMEWHERE!"

"HERE! I'VE FOUND THEM!"

"THEY'RE UNCONCIOUS!"

"TAKE THEM DOWN NOW!"

"How are they?"

"They've sustained some major injuries and breathed in a lot of smoke... It's difficult to tell"

"Will they survive?"

"I honestly can't say love"

"Hm, I see..."

*** 12 Hours Later *** 

"Mhmmm..."

"Easy, easy Hope. You're in the hospital, you were in a fire. But you and you're baby are safe okay?"

"What?"

"You were in a hotel, and there was a fire."

"A fire?!"

"Yes. But don't worry. You and the baby are okay"

"Hotel... Fire..."

"Yes."

" . . . "

"Can you remember anything from the accident?"

" . . . "

"Hope?"

"BRUNO! WHERE'S BRUNO?"

"Bruno?"

"WHERE IS HE?"

I spring up out of the bed, the constricting wires pulling me back. Trapping me in their grip. I stare the doctor in the eyes and I see remorse. No. Bruno.

"TELL ME WHERE HE IS!"

The doctor remains silent but turns to look at his associate. Will. Anger raged throughout my being, flashbacks of Will's funeral flooded my mind and I couldn't control myself. I screamed as I tried pulling the needles and wires out of my skin, it ripped and it hurt. The doctors tried pushing me back into the bed, but they couldn't hold me down.

"GET OFF OF ME!"

"Hope calm down. Calm down!"

"NO! I WILL NOT CALM DOWN UNTIL I CAN SEE HIM!"

The doctors pushed me onto the bed and held me down, I was going into panic mode, tears streamed down my face and my nails ripped through the sheets below me. In a frenzy of anger and pain, I use all my strength to push my way off of the bed and as I stand I feel my weak leg falter beneath me. I fall to the floor in a hot mess.

"Peter"

Is the only word that escapes from my scared mouth, tears rushing down my face. No one hears me say his name but God, God hears my cries. The doctors lift me onto the bed and I do not fight them. My body couldn't fight any longer. Once the doctors leave, they put a guard in front of my door. I'm alone again.

"Why? Why did you do this to me? You took Will from me! And you want to take him too?! Why? I've been nothing but faithful to you and this is how you treat me?!"

I look down at my stomach, and I feel Winter moving inside of me. She was alive! But Bruno and I were not married. I realised my punishment.

"God. Please! If you can hear me, please listen to my prayers. I know I have done wrong and I do not pray for wealth or lust or greed. But for forgiveness. And for life. Dear lord please! If you have taken him from me. Give him back! She needs her father! I need him. I've lost too much already. I can't lose him too."

I pull myself to the window, using the bed as a crutch. It's raining. The lightning strikes the ground with no guilt felt. I look outside as my stomach ties. There's nothing I can do for him. The tears continue to flow, soaking my hair from it's dry state. I look at the door, my only escape, it's heavily guarded. The doctor returns to my room holding a box. I turn to look at him, pain striken across my very soul.

"This is for you"

He places the box on my bed and sits in the corner reading my records. Did he have to stay in here?! I look at the box curiously. What is it? I walk tentatively towards it and pick it up. I open the box slowly, unsure if I want to know what's inside.

"No..."

"Is everything alright miss?"

"Not again..."

"Miss?"

"Where's Bruno?"

"Miss, I don't th-"

"Please! I need to see him!"

The doctor regretfully leads me out of my room and into Bruno's. It's an ICU ward, he leads me inside and returns to his post. I startle from the door closing behind me. I look at the doctor sitting at the end of Bruno's bed, I look around the room. Wires everywhere. I look at the heart monitor. HE'S ALIVE. But I was too scared to dwell on the fact that he was alive. I walk up next to him, slowly, taking two steps forward and then one step back. I don't know if I can do this. I take a deep breath and walk up to him.

"Bruno?"

"He's in an induced coma miss. He won't wake."

"Oh"

I look down at the poor innocent soul laying lifeless infront of me. Tears begin again as I look at his body, his chest bare and scared, bandages wrapped around him, the only thing covering his flesh are the hospital briefs, his legs bandaged from the glass shards that had slashed him in the blaze. My eyes travel up his torso and to his face, bruised and battered, I could hardly recognise him. His head completely shaved, his afro gone. Why was it shaved? My eyes scanned hs head and even though my sight was temporarily blurred, I could see what had happened to him. Surgery, it must've been on his brain or skull. I pray nothing too serious. My soar, cut hand lifts his and I place it on Winter-Mai.

"Can you feel that sweetie? That's your little girl! You need to fight okay? You need to fight for her. She needs her daddy. She needs you Bruno... I need you."

I kiss Bruno on each cheek and on his lips. He's warm and I don't want to leave him.

"I love you"