Illness pt5

Still Beth's pov sorry 😭😂

Viv just got wheeled into surgery. The doctors say it will take around 4 hours to complete the surgery and she will be knocked out for around another hour. That means 1 hour to worry yay. Note the sarcasm. I decide I'm a bit hungry since I've not eaten since the first service station so I walk to the caf. As I enter I notice the team is still here. I can't be bothered to have a conversation right now I'm too worried so I just get into the queue ready to order something. There's around 5 people in front of me.

After around 10 minutes of waiting I get to the front of the queue.
"Hiya, can I just get a cappuccino and a breakfast bap with everything on please." I say politely.
"Of course. It will take around 5 minutes to make as the bacon has just gone in. Can I have a name for the order and I'll shout it out when ready?" She says.
"Mead."
"Perfect."
When she says that I go and sit on a table on my own. Next to the register and in front of the team. I drink my coffee and breathe. I look out of the windows which are ahead of me and just see the busy roads of London. My girlfriend is in surgery but everything seems normal. The traffic jams of london. The jeering or chanting when you see someone wearing a football shirt. The boiling hot coffee hitting your tongue. It's just that not everything is normal. My girlfriend could die in surgery. My girlfriend could never be able to eat again. I might not be able to ever take my girlfriend to coffee shops again. We might not ever be able to play football together again. As all these intrusive thoughts drown me I notice a presence.
"Here. She was calling your name for 5 minutes." Jen says as she sits down next to me. I take it gratefully but don't say a word. I just twirl my coffee around with the little mini wooden things they give you.
"How is she?" Jen asks placing a hand on my hand.
"She's in surgery. Might not make it." I mutter. I can see how ruined Jen looks. She hugs me. I put my head on her shoulder and I cry. A good cry. I needed this. I can tell the rest of the team are looking on curiously but I'm not saying anything. When we stop hugging Jen looks at me.
"Steph said she was better."
"She was. Then the doctor said she could either have surgery or pills. She chose surgery. Just a few minutes before the surgery was supposed to start she started experiencing pain. I got a nurse. The so called infection turned out to be something else. They don't know what but it burst. If they didn't act quick she would die. The doctor told me straight up. It was a 50/50 chance. Viv could either survive surgery or she could die. It would only depend on how strong her body is." I say eyes watering as I say it.
"She's strong Beth."
"I hope so."
"We all do."
"I don't think I can eat this. Do you want it?" I ask Jen, holding up my breakfast bap.
"Save it eat it once you know she's safe." Jen says and I nod.
"I uh might go back to the hospital room."
"To do what?"
"Lay in her bed and hope."
"No chance. I'm not leaving you alone to get yourself all worked up again."
"I'll be fine." After I say that I walk off. Well I mean try too. As I get a centre-metre from the door I feel a hand on my shoulder turn me around.