5.

*Parker's POV*

We both woke up the next morning and decided we'd go check on the girls. But when we got to Anson's room neither of them were there. Which means Claudia must have picked up Piper already, and we had no clue where Anson is. Until we walked down stairs and heard gunshots from down the road.

Dyson looked at me and pursed his lips. "So, I'm just gonna leave her alone for a little while." He nodded.

"Yup." I nodded as I sat down and put ice on my hand.

Now you see, Anson loves shooting, but normally she'll do it in the back yard. But when she's having a bad day or had a bad night, she'll go down, lay on the roof of the shop, and she'll shoot at the things she set up in the field on the side of the shop.

The dads came walking in from the basement.

"What is that." My dad pointed at my hand.

I pursed my lips. "Do you really want to know." I scrunched my face.

"Yes." He nodded.

"Oh you'll find out in a little while when team Thomas shows up." Dyson nodded.

"Oh my god what happened." Hal shook his head.

And as soon as another gun shot went off, they both jumped and just looked at Dyson and I.

"Uh, Garret and Anson are not a thing anymore." Dyson shook his head. "He said some things that were a mistake." He pointed at my hand.

"Great, he's coming here, she's pissed off with a gun, and we really needed this to be a good day." Hal nodded.

"Why what's going on today?" I gave him a look.

"Well bud, we've been talking for a few months, and we've decided we're gonna bring a new rider to the team. He just moved here, they're from North Carolina, his dad is a marine, and he's been riding since he was about 7. He's a senior, your age, and he's going to be racing 250 with Anson if you three agree to him being on the team. We've met him, good kid, and he's coming in today for a trial run." My dad nodded.

"Oh she's gonna love that." Dyson shook his head.

"He will be racing with her, not taking her spot. She's still going to be the team captain, for all of you, not just him. He's a good rider, if he likes how we do things, and likes the track, he's gonna pick a model and be racing in 2 weeks at tall point with us." Hal nodded. "But, we're also going to test him a bit. But, I need to talk to your sister first. So I need to know what happened."

"Uh, he asked her if he could do his own thing last night. She was drunk, talking to me, she laid her head on my shoulder, yelled at her for it, came at Dyson, pretty much called her a hoe, mouthed off to me, and the rest is self explanatory." I nodded.

"Meanwhile he spent the night draped over other girls." Dyson nodded.

"And no one decided to you know, not let her have a gun today?" My dad shook his head.

"She was down there when we got up." Dyson shrugged.

"Well, uh." Hal looked at my dad. "Maybe we should let her be for a few more minutes before we go down." He nodded.

They both sat down with us. "So how was last night other than Rocky over here hitting the Thomas boy?" Hal pointed at me.

"I asked Piper out." Dyson nodded.

"Well, after 4 months of sneaking out on the porch I'm glad you finally admitted it." Hal nodded.

Dyson choked on his breakfast. "You knew about that?" He pursed his lips.

"Boy, we were 17 once. We know more than you think we do." My dad nodded.

"And uh, you've continued to let her stay here?" I gave him a look.

"You've met Anson, right?" Hal gave me a look. "Continue to keep it in your pants while we're in the house Dys."

Dyson looked uncomfortable as possible when he said "Ok."

"Anson and I also talked a lot." I nodded.

"How'd that go?" My dad took a drink of coffee and looked at me.

"She called herself a bitch, told me she missed me, then made me promise I'd say goodbye the next time I leave if I leave. She apologized for shutting me out, and that she'd love to be where we used to, but it's going to take time." I shrugged.

"OK, so the key to getting her to talk is alcohol. Good to know." Hal nodded.

"What about you two, how was your night?" Dyson asked.

"Your mother made me an amazing dinner, we went for a ride and laid in the hammock for a while, I drank a bottle of wine, got on that trampoline, and almost broke my neck." Hal pursed his lips.

We both choked back a laugh. "How about you dad, was kicking me out of my house worth it?" I crossed my arms and smiled. "You get down?"

My dad pursed his lips and nodded. "I was not sure if you wanted to meet Margot this morning when you got up." He shook his head.

"Dad, I would love to meet Margot. You haven't had a girlfriend since you and mom divorced, and I was what, 10? It's been almost 8 years. Plus, from what I hear, she's hot." I shrugged.

My dad just looked over at Dyson.

His eyes got wide and he just looked down.

"Look, as long as you're happy, she showers regularly, and she makes good breakfast, I am cool with her coming around when I'm home." I shook my head. "And I know you're not the one who washed all my bedding before I got here, so tell her thank you. I also used her coconut oil that was in the cupboard in the hall. Piper told me it smelled nice." I nodded.

He smiled and nodded. "I knew I liked you."

"Plus, pretty sure she's the one who washed all my laundry the last 2 summers when I was out with Dyson." I shrugged.

"Wait, what." His eyes got wide.

"Dad, you may have only told me 6 months ago that you were seeing someone, but, you can barely work a washing machine, and I haven't done laundry here in 2 years. Put 2 and 2 together." I nodded.

Hal and my dad looked at Dyson again.

"Oh no, I didn't say anything." He shook his head.

"Dad, it's been over 2 years since you actually started seeing her, just ask her to move in. I have a whole ass step dad, I'm over the parents not being together. If she makes you happy, then I'm happy." I smiled.

He looked at Hal. "Where did I get such a good kid." He shook his head.

"Dan, pretty sure he knows by now that she basically lives there." Hal nodded. "Just have come to dinner tonight and tell her to bring the rest."

"Can I tell him. Please can I tell him!" Dyson yelled.

My dad sighed and pointed at me. "One comment about me being a sugar daddy, which I am not, I will smack the shit out of you. She has a job, a good one, she makes her own money."

"Oh my god, how old is she." I shook my head.

"She's only 31!" Dyson laughed.

My eyes got wide and I just looked at my dad. "You're 45." I nodded.

"She's very mature." Hal nodded. "Sherry likes her."

"Why does he look like he's gonna pass out." I pointed at Dyson.

"Because your daddy has game." My dad nodded. "Where do you think you got it from."

"Can I please!" Dyson yelled again.

My dad rolled his eyes. "Jesus Christ Dyson."

"She's a Pilates instructor with fake boobs!" He nodded.

I raised my eyebrows and smirked at my dad. "Really?"

He nodded. "My life is pretty great. Especially now that my boy is home." He shrugged.

"I suggest if you boys want dinner done for tonight you get out of my kitchen. Is Margot joining us?" Sherry asked walking down the stairs.

"Yes momma Sherry, she is." I nodded.

"Yes!" Dyson threw his hands in the air.

"Boy." My dad looked at him.

"Can you make sure their bikes are running alright, so I can go talk to Anson." Hal looked at my dad.

"What's wrong with Anson?" Sherry looked at all of us.

"3." I nodded.

"2." Dyson pursed his lips.

And Hal pointed out the window down the road as another gunshot went off.

"What happened?" She shook her head.

"We'll explain." Dyson nodded. "Go dad."

*Anson's POV*

After last night, I decided to just go down and shoot from the shop roof after Piper left.

I was out there for maybe an hour and a half until my dad came crawling up the ladder.

I was laying on my stomach shooting in to the field and he came and laid next to me.

"Dyson or Parker." I shook my head and shot again.

"Both." He nodded and took the gun. "Mostly Parker's hand." He took a shot.

"I'm fine." I nodded as he handed the gun back.

"I know you are. I gave no doubts about that baby." He shook his head. "I raised you the way I did so I knew either way you're gonna be alright. But, I am sorry." He nodded.

"No you're not." I shook my head and took a shot.

"I am Anson." He nodded. "Despite what I thought about him, I know how much you liked him. But I also knew he was not a good guy for you if he's willing to get you in trouble. I'm sorry that you're hurting baby. The last thing I want is to see you hurt. And if I had something to do with that, I am sorry."

"He didn't deserve me anyway." I shrugged and shot again.

"No, he didn't." He shook his head. "But some day, you will find someone who does. Someone who knows your worth, and respects your parents wishes, knows your brother will always come first, isn't scared of the woman you are, but more importantly respects you and treats you as you will him. Don't settle for anything less." He gave me a small smile.

I gave him a small smile. "I'm a strong ass woman." I nodded.

"You are a strong ass woman." He nodded. "But you are a strong ass woman who needs to put away the gun for a second."

I sighed and set it down. "Which means you need to tell me something." I pursed my lips.

"I do." He nodded again. "Dan and I have decided to bring in another rider. He just moved here from North Carolina, we've met him, he's been riding since he was about 7, he's 17, very good kid, very good rider. He'd be racing 250 with you if you, Dyson, and Parker agree for him to be on the team and he likes it here. But you will be the team captain, not just for him, but Parker and Dyson too. You have rank. He and his dad will be here shortly to do a trial run."

I pursed my lips and nodded. "Alright."

"His name is Cash. He's very respectful, probably because his dad was a Marine. But you know how you get that really bad attitude once in a while?"

"Thanks." I scrunched my face.

"Bring that out today." He nodded. "Because the only way he's gonna make it here is if he can deal with you on your bad days. I want to see how he holds up."

"I can do that." I shrugged.

"Alright." He smiled. "Now lets get off this damn roof and get you geared up, I want to get you out there before he gets here."

We got down off the roof, I didn't even bother putting a shirt on under my jersey, so I was rocking a sports bra today. I kept on my shorts, slid my riding pants on, threw on my boots and helmet, and made my way out to the track.

I rode around for about 20 minutes until my music paused on my headphones. "Let 'er rip baby. They just pulled in."

So, that's exactly what I did.

*Parker's POV*

Dyson and I rode down to the track in the side by side since our bikes were down in the shop. But when we got there, we noticed a small bike trailer and our dad's standing with a fairly large man and a younger guy.

"Looks like he's here." Dyson looked at me.

"Kind of excited." I shrugged.

We got out of the side by side and walked over to them.

"Ah, here they are. Parker, Dyson, this is Kevin and Cash Miketish. Kevin, Cash, this is my son Parker." My dad pointed at me.

"And my son Dyson. They're our 450 riders." Hal nodded.

"Nice to meet you." Dyson held his hand out.

"Happy to have you." I held my hand out.

They both shook our hands.

"How about you two show Cash around while we get his bike out of the trailer." Hal nodded.

"Yeah, Cash why don't you grab your gear out of the back." Kevin nodded.

"Alright." Cash nodded.

He walked over, grabbed his bag, and followed us in to the shop.

Dyson and I decided we were going to get our gear on quick too.

"So Cash, where are you guys from." I looked at him as I pulled my riding pants up.

"A little bit of everywhere honestly. Dad being in the military, we move a lot. But, he said this was our last one." He shrugged and slid jersey on. "But we just came from North Carolina."

"Dad said you've been riding since you were 7. How about racing?" Dyson asked buckling his boots.

"Well, moving so much, I've never raced for a team, just individual, but about 5 years now. Just happy we're finally in a stable place for me to be on a team." He shook his head.

"I feel you." I nodded. "My mom, she lives in Arizona, and I'm only here during the summer racing on the team. It feels good for it to be steady."

"Isn't the summer over?" He gave me a look.

"It is. My mom and step dad are traveling, so I'm here for the school year." I shrugged.

"And I've lived here my whole life. We're both locals. We could show you around sometime if you want." Dyson gave him a small smile.

"Yeah actually. That would be great." He nodded.

"Is it hard making friends moving so much?" I asked as we walked out to the fence.

"It takes a few months, but eventually I get there." He let out a small laugh. "I do alright though."

"Well damn, guess Helen is already better than where you've been, you just made two and school hasn't even started." Dyson laughed.

"Happy it's people I have something in common with." He nodded. "So, if you two are the 450 riders, who am I riding 250 with?" He gave us a look.

We both pointed out to the track just as Anson was going over jump 3.

"Huh." He nodded. "He looks good."

Dyson and I both just looked at him. "They didn't tell you?" I shook my head.

"No. Tell me what?" He shook his head.

"That, is our team captain." Dyson nodded. "And also a she. That's my little sister Anson."

"No shit." He nodded. "That's awesome."

"You cool with that?" I gave him a look.

"Absolutely. I think it's great that she can ride, and obviously she's good if she's captain." He shrugged.

"That and she has a better bike knowledge." I nodded. "She actually built her bike, and she just custom built mine."

"I like her already then." He nodded.

"Oh we'll see. She can be a handful." Dyson nodded. "I should know, I live with her."

"Hey boys!" I heard my dad yell. "Why don't you bring it in the shop."

"Just, don't take anything she says personally, she's the queen of passive aggressive." I nodded.

We were walking over and she ripped past us in to the shop.

"She's also a little crazy." Dyson pursed his lips.

*Anson's POV*

My dad told me to bring it in to the shop, so I ripped past Dyson, Parker, and I'm assuming Cash, and in to the shop to see my dad, Dan, and a fairly large man.

I got in, turned my bike off, and took off my helmet.

"OK, not what I was expecting when you said your daughter was out there." The man nodded.

"We get it a lot." My dad nodded. "Baby, this is Kevin Miketish. Kevin this is my daughter Anson, she's our team captain."

"Nice to meet you sir." I held my hand out.

"You too dear." He smiled and shook it.

"And this is his son Cash." Dan pointed to the garage opening as he, Dyson and Parker walked through. "Cash this is Anson."

I've got to say, Cash, is a complete dream boat, and if he's got the body to match his face, this is gonna be a good ass time.

"Hi Anson." He smiled and held his hand out.

I just sat on my bike and stared at him.

"Oh no." Parker and Dyson said as they just looked at the ground and shook their heads.

"Not one for introductions, alright." He nodded.

I sighed and got of my bike. "Look. I've worked for most of my life to actually be able to race, and the past 3 years to be captain. And I'll be damned if you're going to come in here and ruin that for me." I nodded.

"Hey." He shook his head. "I'm not here to replace anyone or take someones spot. I'm here to race with you." He nodded. "When we're out there, we're a team. And I'm more than willing to work with you, I don't care if it's me as long as one of us is winning for this team. Now, I'm the oldest sibling of 4, and all of my youngers are girls. I can work with the attitude, and I can deal with ego, but the only way this is going to work is if you're willing to work with me too. This is your team, I'm just a rider on it. Now, we can get out there and figure out a way for us to race with each other, not against each other, or we can go out there and fight with each other because I'm not about to back down. But I really don't want to do that. Are you willing to work with me?"

I crossed my arms, pursed my lips and nodded. I looked over at my dad and Dan. "Pretty sure that's a pass." I shrugged.

"You think." They both nodded.

"Oh that's just mean." Dyson shook his head.

"What just happened." Cash let out a small laugh.

"That was a little test for you bud." Kevin nodded.

"Anson is 5 ft tall, but sometimes, her attitude can be 6'4. We just wanted to make sure you could handle it when it comes out. So, I asked Anson to bring it out a little bit. And you handled it. Very well." My dad smiled.

Cash just looked at Dyson and Parker. "You guys weren't kidding." He shook his head.

"Not at all." Parker shook his head and looked at me. "That was fucked up."

"Hey, it took you guys 16 years to do what he did in a minute." I nodded, then looked at Cash. "I'm not really that mean. Looking forward to seeing what you got." I shrugged. "How about we do a run around of the track, get a feel for it before you let it rip."

He smiled. "Sure." He nodded.

"Here you go." Dan handed him a headphone. "This is how we communicate with you guys on the track. These two slack on wearing them, but she does not. We need you all to wear them."

"Absolutely." Cash nodded and got on his bike.

"And um, Hi Cash." I nodded.

"Hi Anson." He smiled and shook his head.

We put our helmets on and went out on the track. But Parker and Dyson stayed back to give the 250's some time since we're going to be racing together.

We rode until about 11, and he actually got pretty good on the track for being on it the first time. My headphones cut out. "Alright you two, bring it in and take a break, eat and drink." Dan said through the watch.

We rode up in to the shop, Parker and Dyson rode out past us, we turned out bikes off and just whipped our helmets off.

"Well, how'd the track treat you?" My dad crossed his arms.

"The track, treats me good." Cash nodded. "The heat, does not." He shook his head and looked at me. "How do you deal with this." He let out a small laugh.

"We don't." I shook my head. "We just kind of ride through it." I shrugged.

"Why don't you two go grab something and eat out on the bleachers, we're going to run Kevin through some models so we can figure out which one would be good for you." Dan nodded.

"Models?" Cash gave them a look.

"Martin Cross Custom Bikes." I nodded. "We're a custom bike team, so, each rider rides a model built here. Dyson's is a MCCB 450 Flight, it's lighter so it jumps better."

"This." My dad pointed at my bike. "Is a one of a kind 250 ARC model, and Parker rides the 450 version of it."

"What does ARC model mean?" He shook his head.

"Anson Ryder Cross." My dad nodded. "She built both of them, and she's about to build a 110 model for a family friends daughter. 2 of the fastest bikes to ever come out of this shop."

"Wait, you really built them?" Cash looked at me. "I thought they were just screwing with me when they told me that."

"Well, I just tinkered with mine a bit, rebuilt the engine, but Parker's is the first that I've actually built from scratch." I shrugged.

"You are something else girl, let me tell you." Kevin nodded. "Go on out, we'll come up with a few idea's for you to chose from."

We both nodded, grabbed some stuff out of the fridge, and made our way to the top of the small bleachers that are on the other side of the fence for the track. We both straddled the top bench.

"I'm sorry, but I've got to lose this jersey." I shook my head. "It's a hot one today." I lifted my jersey off so I was just in my riding pants, a sports bra, and my boots.

"You took the words right out of my mouth. You mind?" He pursed his lips.

"Go for it, I'm used to it." I nodded.

He lifted the bottom of his jersey, and my hope for his body to match his face came true, because this kid had the most perfectly toned 6 pack I've ever seen, and god damn this kids arms.

"OK, so for a girl, you are ripped." He nodded.

"Oh a girl, huh?" I let out a small laugh.

"OK, for anyone" He laughed. "I know that didn't just come from bikes."

"No." I shook my head. "I'm a level 8 gymnast."

"No shit." He shook his head.

I nodded. "My mom runs the gymnastics gym in town, my best friend Piper and I, we train 5 days a week, she's a level 7."

"Oh so you're hardcore gymnasts, huh?" He nodded.

"Pretty much." I laughed. "What about you, I know all that." I motioned up and down his body. "Didn't just come from bikes either." I shook my head.

"No." He shook his head. "That came from wrestling and the Marines." He laughed. "I'm in ROTC. And after high school, its either Georgia Tech for Industrial Engineering or straight to the Marines. Have to be pretty in shape." He shrugged.

"Taking after your dad, huh?" I nodded.

"Absolutely." He nodded. "But it's also something I really want to do too. He could care less as long as I'm doing something I love."

"He seems really nice."

"He is. Unless it comes to the girls." He shrugged.

"You have 3 little sisters right?" I gave him a look.

He nodded. "Kinsley, she's 14. Quinn, 10. And Paisley, she's 6 months old."

"Awe, little baby." I smiled.

"Cutest thing in the world. But then again, I've said that about all of them." He laughed.

"So, are you a Dyson big brother, protective and in her personal business, or a normal brother who lets his sister learn on their own." I ave him a look.

"Oh definitely a Dyson big brother." He nodded.

"Oh boy, we've got another one." I nodded.

"Alright alright, it's a brother thing." He laughed. "So, other than being a bike riding gymnast who builds bikes for fun, what else do you like to do?"

"Well, I like to trail ride, fish, shoot. Earlier I was on the roof of the shop shooting down in to the field. Camping is a favorite. But, I also like to get pretty, get nails, go to beach party's. But, my all time favorite, and the thing my dad hates the most, is mudding." I shrugged.

"OK, so you are the definition of a southern belle." He nodded.

"So I'm told." I laughed.

"I don't think I've done any of that, other than beach party's." He shook his head.

"Really?" I gave him a look.

He nodded. "We've mostly lived in bigger cities. Helen is the smallest place we've been."

"Well, that's going to change really quickly." I smiled. "Especially once you meet Piper."

"Oh so this means I'm doing good on the approval huh?" He smiled.

"Yeah, you're alright." I rolled my eyes.

"Awe, come on, I'm more than alright." He nodded.

"OK, you have my vote." I laughed.

"Yes!" He threw his hands in the air.

I shook my head. "Welcome to Helen Cash."

"I think I'm gonna like it here." He nodded.

"Oh just wait til the next beach party. You'll get a better feel for the place and the people here."

"When was the last one?" He gave me a look.

"Last night." I nodded.

"Awe damn it, how was it?"

"Uhm, not very good." I shook my head.

"What happened?"

"Lets just say, I gave someone the time of day that didn't deserve me, he came at Dyson, called me a hoe-bag, and then Parker hit him." I nodded.

"Oh shit." He nodded. "So you and Parker, you're-"

"No." I shook my head. "Just friends. We've literally known each other our whole lives. MCCB is older than all of us. He just doesn't like it when guys say things like that to girls in general."

"My kind of guy."

"What about you, girlfriend?" I pursed my lips.

"Nah. We were only in North Carolina for a year. Last one was in Miami, when I was 14. Year and a half, and then we moved. Again." He shook his head. "But I don't have to worry about that anymore."

"Good to know." I nodded.

And then we heard trucks coming down the road, and once again, I noticed the trailer.

Shit.