Fake and real genius

Arisu leaned back, her gaze lost in the intricate patterns on the ceiling as she broached a new topic. "Akira, have you ever heard of the theory of 'real genius' and 'fake genius'?"

"No, I haven't," Akira replied, curiosity piqued. "Do tell."

A faint smile curved Arisu's lips. "A real genius is someone with innate talent or an inherent knack for something. They barely need to strive to excel because they were, so to speak, born to do it."

"And a fake genius?" Akira inquired, leaning in, his interest clearly caught.

"A fake genius is one who achieves their skills not by talent but through hard work and effort. They were not granted any extraordinary abilities at birth, yet they work relentlessly to hone their skills. Interestingly, the theory suggests that although real geniuses may seem to have the upper hand"

Akira was silent for a moment, pondering. "Why bring this up, Arisu?"

Arisu's expression softened, "Just a passing thought. It made me wonder where we stand in this spectrum. We've both been pushing ourselves to our limits, haven't we? It's food for thought."

"True, Arisu," Akira began, his expression serious. "The advancements in technology do give us the ability to manipulate genetics. We could, in theory, create 'fake geniuses'. But, it's like comparing a diamond with a well-crafted piece of glass. Both can shine brightly under the right conditions, but a diamond has its own inherent value."

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Personally, I've always found the notion of altering oneself to fit into the genius category rather... unsettling. It's like you're discarding your own identity, your own essence, in favor of something artificially created."

His gaze met Arisu's, a spark of determination flaring in his eyes. "Everyone has their own unique talents and skills, even if they aren't immediately apparent. It might take more time and effort to discover and hone them, but I believe it's a journey worth taking. After all, it's our struggles, our efforts, that shape us and define who we are."

Arisu listened quietly, her gaze thoughtful. It was a side of Akira she rarely saw - philosophical and introspective. And yet, she found herself agreeing with him

Arisu's eyes brightened, a smile tugging at the corners of her lips. "I'm glad you agree with me, Akira."

He chuckled, a playful glint in his eyes. "I only stated what I believe, Arisu. And to be honest, I think you're taking this concept of 'fake genius' a bit lightly. It's not as simple as you make it out to be."

Arisu bristled at his comment, her expression turning into a pout. "I am not taking it lightly, Akira. I simply believe that being a genius, whether it's 'real' or 'fake', is about more than just intelligence or abilities. It's about character, about how you use your skills to make a positive impact."

Arisu let out a sigh, her gaze dropping to her hands. "About my...behavior," she began, her voice quieter than before. "I...I don't mind if you see me like that. As just a normal girl, not as Sakayanagi Arisu, the Class A leader."

She paused, her fingers fiddling with the hem of her shirt. "But I can't let others see me like that. I can't afford to show that side of me to anyone else."

Arisu's voice hardened, her eyes lifting to meet Akira's. "It was foolish of me to let my guard down, to let myself behave in such a way. I...I should've been more careful."

Akira chuckled, running a hand through his hair. "Well, I could always bribe the whole campus to forget the whole thing," he offered, his tone casual.

Arisu blinked, staring at him in disbelief. "That's... that's the most absurd thing I've ever heard," she said, shaking her head. "Even a monkey would see through that. We can't just erase an incident like that from everyone's memory."