Chapter 7

Tori

I'd seen Cardoza leave and waited until I was sure he wasn't coming back, then knocked lightly on the door and poked my head inside, "Hey. Feel like some company?"

"Might as well," she huffed, "Not like I have a say in any damn thing around here."

I laughed, "Yeah, tell me about it. The penis people make all the decisions around her." Her eyes bulged and she started laughing loudly as I joined her. When our laughter faded, I introduced myself, "I'm Tori, by the way."

"Mattie, but I'm sure you already know that," she answered.

"Yeah, bossman may have mentioned it to like the entire compound. I thought fucking Rico was gonna pass out and that blond bitch threw a hissy. Stupid tramp thought she was something special. Fucking cartel just used her like they use all of us. We're only valuable as long as we have something to offer."

"How long have you been here, Tori?" she asked.

I stiffened, "Three years - since I was seventeen."

She took my hand and squeezed it, "I'm sorry."

With a rueful laugh, I said, "You're too good for him, Mattie. All the shit you've had happen and you're still worried about me. Hell, I caused part of your pain - not intentionally, but still... So, um, how are you handling everything?"

She blinked back tears as she answered, "Kinda numb right now. How am I supposed to feel? I've been kidnapped, drugged, raped, and now I'm supposedly the fiancé to the head of the biggest cartel in Mexico." Her breath was shaky as a few tears dropped. Then she asked me. "I'm never leaving here, am I?"

I felt a lump form in my throat remembering the moment that realization had sunk in for me so long ago. I shook my head no, then sat next to her, wrapping my arms around her shoulders as we both cried silently.