Chapter 22

Tori

Lorna had done exactly as we asked, slipping out of the room at the first sign of gunfire. My leg was cut, but not enough to worry about. Mattie and I pulled ourselves upright but didn't move off the floor before we heard a venomous sound.

"Well look at that, he was right," Vivian said as she pushed her way into the room. "He said you'd be hiding with your girl while the men folk fought. I thought you were made of sterner stuff, Cher."

"I seem to remember telling you not to call me that, Vivian," Mattie spat at her. "Too bad you missed the wedding. Violet was the perfect flower girl."

"She...she's here?" she sputtered.

Mattie gave a hollow laugh, "Gods no. I'd rather never lay eyes on my daughter again than let you get your conniving claws into her. I don't even know where she is right now, none of us do."

"Why couldn't you just play by the rules, Matilda? You could have been happy, but no, you just had to be a stubborn brat and mess up everything," Vivian yelled.

"Did she always sound this unhinged, or is this a new thing?" I snorted.

"New thing actually. I always thought she was the kindest person I knew. Turns out she's worse than fucking Jekyll and Hyde," Mattie groaned.

"Maybe you should learn to shut up," Vivian smirked.

"Mattie," I whispered. It's crazy, but I heard the gunshot, but until the blood ran over my hand, I didn't realize I'd been shot. I just felt shocked, and cold.

"No, no, no, you don't get to leave me, Tori. Don't you fucking dare," she yelled at me as she put pressure on my stomach.

I was laying on the floor now, my head in Luke's lap. Damn, his eyes really are like pools of chocolate. "Hey beautiful, keep those eyes open for me, baby. You can't leave us," Luke said, trying to control his sobs.

"We've got you, Belle. You're gonna be okay now," Gabriel said, stroking my hair. He put his hand over my stomach.

"You know I...I never got that threesome, that you and blue eye pr...promised, Kisses," I coughed.

Luke laughed, "There's still time, baby. I'm gonna bring the whipped cream and Gabe will bring the whips." I laughed and felt myself cough again, the coppery taste of my own blood filling my mouth as my vision began to darken. I heard muffled voices, but couldn't make out who they were and it was just so cold.

Author's Notes:  This scene hits differently from Tori's perspective...