Chapter 17

Tori

I paced back and forth as Owen and Sean watched me. How was it possible to be so worried, so invested in these men already? I mean sure, I'd had sex with Owen and Sean, not to mention flirting like crazy with all the others, but how can I feel this way already? They had been gone for hours. I'd felt my blood run cold the day Victor slammed the auction invites on the table.

"Little bird," Sean said softly, touching my arm, "Are you okay?"

I sniffled, not even realizing I'd started crying, "Yeah, I, uh, I guess, I was remembering when I was the one in Mattie's place." I noticed Emilio look away, but not before I saw the regret in his expression.

Sean tugged me gently, pulling me into his arms, "That will never happen to you again, Tori. We won't let it." I let myself melt into his embrace as he walked me to the couch, placing me between him and Owen. They constantly touched me - stroking my hair, touching my thigh or arm, nothing sexual, but intimate nonetheless. I was almost asleep when the doors flew open and Raven was shouting.

"Sean!"

He bolted from the couch as we all ran into the next room. Raven stood with Mattie's limp form in his arms, his eyes tear-stained. "What the fuck?" Sean demanded.

"Gabe had to do a demonstration as part of the auction," Marc said. "He gave her some pain meds in her water and then doused her back with them as well. Fucking Carlos insisted he use a bullwhip in the end."

"Vivian was there. She was the goddamn hostess of the event," Brandon growled. "Gabe was the only one who could do it. We were outnumbered."

A soft cry came from the doorway and we swiveled our heads to see Victor standing near a young girl who was shivering. "Is she hurt?" Sean asked quickly.

"Not that I can tell, but I don't speak Spanish," Victor said.

"¿Estás herido?," Nate asked. The girl shook her head no. "Ve con él y consigue comida y ropa, ¿de acuerdo? No te haremos daño." (Go with him and get food and clothes, okay? We won't hurt you.) She looked up at Victor and then nodded. "Take her to get some clothes and food. Maybe Tori can help."

I nodded and left with Victory, Kota, and the young girl.

We passed Gabriel and Luke in the hallway. He wouldn't even meet my eyes as Luke cradled his shoulders. I wanted to tell him I understood, that I wasn't mad or disappointed, but there simply wasn't time...yet.

****

I found him out on the ballroom balcony hours later. The entire compound seemed to be silent as he stood staring across the courtyard. "Blue eyes," I said quietly, "Can I join you?"

He made a noncommittal noise at first then nodded. I came to stand next to him, still short in comparison despite him being hunched over the railing. I hesitantly slid my hand over his and intertwined our fingers, then squeezed gently. He didn't say a word, but instead pulled me into his arms, his head in the crook of my neck, and quietly sobbed as I wrapped my arms around him.

I'm not sure how long we stood like that, but eventually, he pulled himself up and looked at me with those electrifying baby blues and kissed me softly. I smiled and led him back to my room where we climbed into my bed and kept our nightmares at bay in each other's arms.

Author's Notes:  Just a short, but much-needed moment.