Chapter 37

Kota

I jolted as I got the redline from Nate. "Shit!"

"What? What happened?" Mama asked.

"I need help, Carlos and his men jumped them at the fair. Luke's been stabbed fairly badly. Not sure about the rest yet. Nate said he couldn't find North, Silas, or Gabe. They're locked in some kind of funhouse at the festival," I told them as I rushed toward the door.

"Come on, I'll drive," Uncle said.

"I'm alerting Owen and Sean now. They can meet us there," Mama said.

"I'll reach out to Mattie's men. They need to know," Alberto said as he gripped my mama's hand tightly. "I'll be okay, son. Your boys are strong. We'll find them and Tori."

My heart dropped. Tori. Nate didn't mention locating Tori. What if...

Marc

"Son of a bitch!" Raven swore as he slammed his fist against the table. "Will that bastard just fucking die already!"

"Who, what's going on?" I asked, completely confused.

"Apparently, Carlos made his move," Mattie said as she followed Corey and Axel into the room. He attacked the Blackbournes at a festival with Tori. Luke got stabbed, while the others are fairly banged up. He took Tori."

"Angel," I said and moved toward her.

"Don't Angel me, Nova. We're going down there and helping them. They put their damn lives on the line for me more than once. I'll be damned if I leave her now!"

"What about the kids? Who's going to watch over them?" I asked.

"They're coming with us. We can stay at my grandfather's compound. It's like a damn military installation already," she countered. "Leaving me here alone with the kids would be just insane anyhow."

She was right. I wouldn't leave her here alone either. I just never thought we'd be back in this damn situation again. Hell, I'd hoped Emilio would retire soon, but that didn't look to be happening either. "Fine," I muttered. "How quickly can we leave?"

"I already started packing," she grinned. "Give me about an hour and we'll be ready."

I pulled her into my arms, "We'll find her, Angel."

She let out a sigh and laid her head on my shoulder, "But will we find her before Carlos destroys her? You know him, Nova. He's insane and completely obsessed with hurting her."

I kissed her head, "I know, baby. Come on, I'll help you finish packing."

Mattie

I bolted out of the car and into Gabriel's arms when we pulled up in front of the Blackbourne villa. He gripped me tightly as he began to sob and sank to the porch with me in his arms. "I'm so scared, ma douce," he sobbed.

"We'll find her, I promise," I told him as I tried my best to comfort him. I ran my fingers through his hair. It was uncombed and a mess, reflecting just how distraught he really was.

I felt Raven's hand on my shoulder and looked up. He had Reid in his arms and nodded to me as the rest of them filed inside. Nate came out and held out a hand to us. I noticed his jaw was bruised and swollen and he had a butterfly stitch over his left eye. "Come on, man. I'm sure seeing Mattie will cheer up Luke a bit," he said.

Eyes still red, Gabriel begrudgingly got up and gripping my hand followed Nate inside where Luke lay propped on the couch, his torso wrapped in bandages. Violet was already sitting on the floor next to him asking him all sorts of questions, while Sofia was playing peek-a-boo with Sean and Owen as Emilio held her. I noticed my abuelo, Erica, and Uncle were also there.

"Hey Luke, how are you feeling?" I asked him, smiling as best I could.

"It only hurts when I breathe," he gave a weak smile.

"Hey Violet, why don't you and Sofia go to study and grab some coloring books while we talk," I told her.

"Okay, mama," she giggled, took Sofia's hand, and headed down the hall. I waited until I heard her shut the door. Violet was old enough now to understand the world her fathers and I lived in. She took her role as protector of her siblings quite seriously.

"So what do we know and what is our next move?" I asked.

"My men are already searching for possible locations," Abuelo said. "The plan is to strike at the same time to prevent another escape."

"Has there been any more activity in your area?" Kota asked Emilio.

He shook his head, his hands pressed together in front of him, "Not a sound. I think he'll stay out of my region. He knows my men will shoot first, then ask questions. What about the States or even another country? Do you think he'll make a run for it?" I felt my stomach clench. I hadn't even considered him skipping the country with her. Gabriel squeezed my hand and our eyes met. I saw the haunted look he had. He turned back to Luke and gripped his hand. My heart broke for them all.

"I already have eyes on all airports - private and public," Victor added.

"I'll help with expanding the surveillance," Corey added and they headed to another room.

Reid started to cry. I gave Luke and Gabriel a quick kiss on their heads then headed to a spare room to change and feed him. Raven sat on the ottoman in front of me, never taking his eyes off me. "We will find her, krolik," he said softly, his hand rubbing my knee. I only nodded, tears falling down my cheeks. He stood and wiped them away with his thumb, then softly kissed me. "I love you, Mattie." He kissed the top of our son's head and continued to stay with me.

Author's Notes:  a short filler chapter for transition purposes