Chapter 23

Owen

My family was in shambles, and I couldn't do a damn thing to help. Silas had just woken up after being in a coma from the explosion, Victor's leg was damaged and it would be years before he would walk properly again - if ever, and Tori... Our beautiful girl had coded on the table twice from the gunshot Vivian inflicted, and now she too lay unresponsive in a coma. My poor Sean was wearing himself ragged trying to watch over all of them at once plus Mattie.

Erica stepped into the room and looked over Tori's charts as she checked her vitals. She looked at me, "How are you holding up, Owen? Because if I'm being honest, you look like shit."

I snorted a short laugh. Leave it to Erica to be blunt in all matters. "I'm exhausted and feel helpless," I admitted. "Do you know when they're bringing Silas back?"

"He should be back soon. Dr. Williams ordered some tests to make sure there wasn't any more swelling and to check for any residual effects from the coma. Based on what we've seen so far, he should be up and causing trouble in no time," she smiled. "Now, back to you. You can't solve everything, Owen. I know you are used to being in charge, but in all of this," she motioned around the room, "no one is in control. We just have to take it a step at a time and have faith that it will all be okay. Silas and Victor are strong. They will recover - it will just take time, and from what you all have told me about this young lady, she's stronger than all of you put together."

My eyes watered as I nodded, "She is, Erica. I've never known anyone like her really. All of the horrors she's faced, she still sees the best in the world. She's a fighter. I'm just so scared of losing her...we just found her."

She hugged me and said, "Kota said almost the same thing. I see it in all your eyes. She's a keeper, Owen. Don't give up, okay?"

"Yes, ma'am," I said as she let me go and kissed my forehead.

Kota

"How are you holding up?" Mama asked me.

"I don't know. I keep trying to tell him, we will love him no matter what happens, but he's so angry," I blew out a frustrated breath. "I just don't know what to do, Mama."

She rubbed my shoulders, "Victor knows that you and Nate love him, baby. He's just dealing with the shock of his injuries and then Tori still being in a coma has to add to that stress. Give him time, Kota."

I leaned into her and sobbed, "I know...I know. I just feel so helpless, and what's worse is that the bastard is still out there."

"Then you finish this." I was shocked to hear my mama say something like that, but the look in her eyes was hard. "I'll be damned if that man takes anything else from this family. You boys need to pull yourselves together and find him before he has time to regroup."

"You sound like my wife," Emilio said as sat in the hallway chair next to us. "Fuck, I hate hospitals. Oh, sorry, ma'am." He blushed when she shot him a reprimanding look.

"You're forgiven, and I understand your dislike, especially under the current circumstances," she told him. "Is Mattie okay, do you need me to check on her?"

"No, ma'am..."

"Call me Erica, please. So what is the issue then?" she asked pointedly.

"I am sorry to ask, but could you assist Dr. Marin with Alberto? I've been told you have a rather commanding presence, and um, well, Mattie's grandfather is being less than cooperative," Emilio stumbled.

Mama let out a laugh, "I'll take that as code for he's being a pain in the ass." Emilio blushed and nodded. "I'll head down there in a moment."

"It's okay, Mama. Go and help. I'm going to spend some time with Tori and Silas while Nate's in with Victor," I told her. She gave me an understanding look and pulled me into a fierce hug.

"Don't give up, baby. You are all strong and this will work out," she whispered and kissed my cheek, then headed down the hall with Emilio.

Letting out a deep sigh, I headed toward the room where Tori lay unconscious. Silas refused to let them place him in a different room. It had us all worried as he sat there every day just watching her for any signs of improvement. But there weren't any.

I stepped into the dimly lit room and noticed Silas snoring softly as I approached Tori's bed. Luke gave me a nod as I took a seat next to her. "Any changes?" I whispered as her monitors kept a steady beat. At least she wasn't on a ventilator. Sean said that was a positive sign.

"No. I'm gonna grab some coffee. Want some?" he asked as he stood and stretched.

"Sure, but Luke, no sugar," I grinned. He just smirked and headed out.

I leaned closer to her, placing a kiss on her forehead as I played with her hair. "Hey baby, you need to open those beautiful eyes for us. We miss you so much. My Mama is here, baby and she'd like to meet the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with. North and Luke's uncle is here too." I felt my tears starting again as I continued to talk to her. "I love you, Tori. Please don't leave us," I choked. An alarm started beeping rapidly.

"What's happening?" Silas boomed. My mouth gaped, I couldn't answer because I didn't have a damn clue. Doctors and nurses flooded into the room along with Sean who pushed me back and quickly pulled the curtain around her bed. "Sean! What is going on!" Silas demanded, trying to get out of bed.

I rushed over and pushed him back down. "Stop it. They need to focus on her, and if you hurt yourself, you'll pull them away from her," I snapped. His face looked broken and he just nodded blankly, then gripped my hand as we stood helplessly. When Luke and Gabe stepped into the room, their eyes met ours filled with fear. I didn't know what to say.

The alarm stopped.

The yelling stopped.

Our world stopped.

Victor

The skies were dark and broken, just like we were. Marc and Emilio held Mattie up as she sobbed. Nate and Kota stayed close to me as I leaned heavily on my new cane. I had refused to attend the service in a wheelchair. I stepped forward and placed a white rose on her casket, pressing my hand to the cold surface. "I'm so sorry I didn't do more to protect you," I whispered.

The large crowd filed by, paying their respects and telling us how sorry they were for our loss. I wanted to scream at their false platitudes. How dare they pretend to care. This was just all for show, while fucking Carlos was still out there and we stood here in the presence of death surrounded by bright flowers that seemed so out of place in this garden of stones.

Brandon stepped up to take Emilio's place as he neared the caskets to say a few words. He spoke of Rico's dedication and bravery and of Lorna's innocence. He spoke of the importance of family and cherishing those you love for the short time you have them to hold, then he issued a rallying cry to hold the ones responsible accountable. His words left me hollow.

"This is all bullshit," she muttered angrily.

I put my arm around her and kissed her head, "I know Cuore mio. It's almost over."

Tori's dark eyes looked up at me with anger. "It won't be over until that bastard is in a box of his own, Victor." I sighed. She was right.

"We'll discuss it at home, ghost," Nate said quietly. I saw the worry in his eyes, in all our eyes. She had coded not once but three times. The day she coded with Silas and Kota in the room, we thought we'd lost her forever - they had even proclaimed a time of death. Sean had literally passed out when her heart started on its own. Since then Nate had called her our little ghost.

Despite his medical advice both of us wanted to be here for Rico and Lorna's services. I felt like I'd failed as her guardian somehow. She finally had a chance at freedom only to have it ripped from her forever. And Rico, well he finally found someone who loved and accepted him. He'd changed so much in just a few months and we all considered him family. We had even decided to ask them to return to Charleston with us if Tori was willing to come as well. If not, we had agreed to stay in Mexico. That conversation seemed a million years ago now. I looked around at our broken and bruised families, feeling the cold metal of the cane in my hand, and couldn't help but wonder what was next.

Author's Notes: a bit of new, a bit of already known...

Please comment, vote, and follow!