Chapter 9

Mattie

"Ugh, why are all of these dresses so ugly and old lady-looking?" Tori groaned. I giggled as she made faces in the mirror, pretending to walk with a walker and ask for her meds. "Well at least you're laughing," she grinned. "You weren't quite so confident last time we chatted."

I raised my glass of orange juice and winked, "Apparently, with the exception of the nightmares, killing someone is quite liberating."

She made a choking sound, "Holy shit, you really did it? I mean, I know that's what they said, but I thought maybe it was just to build up your reputation in the cartels." She sat on the couch next to me. "How...how did it feel?"

I groaned, "In the moment, amazing. She was the one who texted you that day. Apparently, she and my own grandmother were trying to get the Palmas to kill me before Emilio could even get to me."

"No fucking way," she growled, "I always hated that bitch. Throwing herself at any dick that walked by," she rolled her eyes and shook like she was shaking off a bad memory.

"Yeah, she tried throwing herself at Emilio too. That didn't work out so well for her," I snorted. "That's not why I killed her though. She and my grandmother were trying to use my daughter as a pawn. I needed to send a message to the people involved to back the fuck off. No one is going to mess with Violet or her fathers."

"Fathers?" Tori raised her eyes in confusion.

My cheeks flushed red, "Yeah, um, Nova is her actual father, but I was involved with all five of them. Before this madness started, we had legal papers drawn up giving all of them parental rights." I felt a pain in my chest. I had tried so hard to push their memories away, but they found me each night. And now, they found their way into my nightmares. Turning from me in disgust, hating me for my marriage, for being a murderer.

I felt Tori's hand over mine, "Hey, where did you go just now?"

I swiped at my tears, "Just thinking about what could have been." I straightened up and added, "but that's long gone now, so let's focus on finding some dresses that will catch the attention of the entire gala."

She gave me a knowing look and hopped up, "Okay girlie, let's find something sexy as fuck. Show those old bitties and hookers what we're made of." Gods, I love this girl. I don't think I'd have survived past that first day without her. "Ohh, saleslady, we need better dresses, stat!" she shouted at the clerk and laughed. "And stop bringing stuff that old people wear. We're hot young chicks, we need to show off our assets in a classy but not prudish way."

The clerk muttered something in Spanish and then rolled out the rack that was in our area. She came back a few minutes later with a kaleidoscope of gowns that were breathtaking. "These will probably be out of the budget of girls like yourselves," she snarked.

Tori and I exchanged a knowing look. This bitch had no clue who I was. You'd think the bodyguards would have given her a clue, huh. "You know Tori, I think I could use a few dresses. Goodness knows this won't be the last event I attend. I mean between Abuelo and Emilio, they'll keep parading me around I'm sure."

Tori's eyes lit up with mischief, "Of course, I'm sure everyone will be dying to invite the new Mrs. Cardoza to all of their events." The clerk's eyes bulged.

"I...I'm sorry, Mrs. Cardoza, I...I didn't know," she sputtered, "Please don't tell your husband that I disrespected you or your friend."

I could see the fear in her eyes and leaned forward, "My husband is the least of your worries, ma'am. I'm not queen just because I married him. I'm Matilda Cortez Cardoza and you might want to learn to be less judgmental in the future, assuming you have one." I thought the poor woman was going to piss her pants before she darted from the room leaving Tori and I practically rolling on the floor in laughter.

"Hail to the Queen," Tori said as she held her stomach from laughing so hard. I just giggled and gave her one of those odd royalty hand waves which set us both off in waves of laughter again.

****

We walked into the compound still giggling as Emilio met us in the hall. "Mattie, can you tell me why I got a bill for eight dresses, then suddenly got a call telling me they were a gift and no charge?"

Tori and I burst out laughing as Emilio just stared in confusion. Carlos walked up next to him and gave an odd look, "Did you two get stoned?"

Tori's mannerisms instantly sobered and I answered, "No, we just scared the ever living shit out of the clerk when she treated us like hookers."

"She did what!" Emilio yelled, but I quickly stepped up to him, placing one hand on his cheek and the other on his chest.

"Nothing to worry about, husband," I giggled, "My reputation precedes me. She learned her mistake, and hey, we got free dresses!"

"She is a hooker," Carlos snorted, and my eyes snapped to him.

"Call her that again and I'll cut off your damn balls," I hissed. I felt Emilio's hands tighten on my wrist.

"Little mouse," he whispered in my ear, but I was done. I hated Carlos. Hated him for all the things he did to Tori, for the way he looked at me, for his very existence.

I met Emilio's gaze, "Either I'm Queen or I'm not, Emilio. You can't have it both ways. He will not disrespect her any longer, and he won't punish her when I'm out of sight either. She's under my protection now."

I heard Tori suck in a surprised breath and Carlos mutter under his breath, but it was Emilio's response that I was interested in. I wanted to know if he really had my back or not. I had no illusion that I was putting him in an awkward position right now. Carlos was his second, but he was also a wildcard that could easily become a threat to us.

"Tori, have the maids move your belongings to a room in our wing. My Queen has her first official lady in waiting apparently," he said with a small grin forming along his lips.

"Um, yes sir," she said quickly and ran off.