Chapter 24

Erica

"Dammit woman, stop bossing me around!" Alberto yelled.

"Stop being an idiot and I wouldn't have to," I snapped back at him. I swear this man could test the patience of a saint. After two surgeries and weeks in a brace, he had finally been allowed to use a wheelchair. However, the stubborn man kept trying to move between the chair and bed without the Hoyle lift or assistance. I swear he's giving me grey hair.

"Did you really just call me an idiot?" he gaped.

"Well if the shoe fits," I muttered, righting him in the chair. I placed the harness on him and stood back with a smirk, "There. Now you're all secured." He was still looking at me in shock. "What?" I asked.

"In all my years, I've never had anyone speak to me the way you do, woman," he huffed.

"If you don't like it, then stop being a horse's ass to me, and the name is Erica Lee, not woman," I sassed. He grinned and calmed down a bit. "Now, let's get in the other room. I want to know what's going on with my boys, don't you?"

"Yes, ma'am," he answered calmly. Okay, that was a bit weird...

I wheeled him into the room where Kota and the others were listening to Victor and Corey give information about the layout and heat signatures. Mattie was clinging to Brandon and Axel as she listened. Tori held Kota's hand tightly. I gave her a reassuring smile. She was good for my boys. I hadn't had much of a chance to speak with her, but what little I knew, I was impressed.

When I heard Raven's deep voice shout 'bomb' I almost fainted, and clutched Alberto's hand as we listened to the deafening sound of the explosion. Victor started shouting their names, Mattie was crying, Tori and Kota seemed shell-shocked, and the rest were trying to get information from the Ravenstahl soldiers as well as Alberto's. He had his phone out and was calling someone, but never let go of my hand as I sank to the floor next to him.

At some point, I felt his hand on my head, stroking my hair, "It will be okay, mi vida. We will get them home, I promise," he said as I cried.  

Author's Notes:  Alberto & Erica...hmmm...