Chapter 12

Tori

It had been a week since the Gala, and every day had me more worried about Mattie. After I delivered the response from Kota and Victor, she cried and mirrored Victor's sentiments. I watched the light in my friend's eyes begin to fade as she mourned the loss of her daughter and her lovers. Emilio and her grandfather had been equally worried as she stopped joining them for meals and even refused to eat most days.

I knocked on the door lightly but she didn't answer. I pushed the door open and heard the shower running so I left quietly.

"Is she awake?" Emilio asked as he almost ran into me.

"I assume so, I heard the shower running, so I left," I said. He gave me a weak smile and then headed down the hall. I had made it to the bottom of the stairs when I heard him screaming for help and for someone to call the doctor.

I ran back up the stairs, bursting into the room, and pushed down a scream. He was cradling her in his arms, trying to stop the bleeding from her wrists as she lay dripping wet and unconscious. "Get help, now!" he roared.

"Move," Carlos yelled as he pulled Doc into the room.

I stumbled to the side, not able or even willing to leave. Why didn't I see how depressed she'd become? If those damn men just hadn't come.

****

It had been a few weeks since her attempt and her new doctor seemed to be doing wonders for her. Emilio was walking on eggshells around her, his face heavy with guilt, and Carlos seemed to be lurking in every corner, just waiting to pounce.

"So are you up for a walk today?" I asked Mattie after she'd gotten dressed. I noticed she had eaten most of her breakfast for once. Now, if she could just keep it down. "It's not too hot yet, and you haven't been out to the gardens in forever!"

She gave me a half smile, "Okay, okay, stop bullying me."

I put my hand to my chest in an exaggerated motion, "What? Me? I would never!" She laughed - a real laugh and it made me feel so relieved.

I spent night after night kicking myself for telling her what Victor and Kota had said. Then my stupid ass blurted out that she was pregnant. Geez, no wonder the poor thing cracked.

When we finally arrived in the gardens she took a deep breath and closed her eyes. "Thank you, I needed to get out of that room," she finally said. We started walking with no real direction in mind. "So have you met Sean and Owen yet?" she asked me.

"Yeah, I mean other than that first day, I've passed them a few times. Why do all the hot, decent guys have to be fucking gay," I moaned.

She gave me a wink, "Might want to check your observations, sweetie. I know for a fact they swing both ways."

I stopped in my tracks, "What...how could you? Oh shit, they're with Kisses aren't they?" Duh, it made so much sense now. I mean why else would Mattie start spilling her guts on day one...duh!

She giggled and nodded. "Tell me again why you call Luke, Kisses?"

"Have you seen those eyes? I mean, lordy, I felt like I'd fallen into a tub of chocolate heaven, and don't get me started on how his lips taste..." I shivered, "Damn, now I need a cold shower," I grumbled.

"Oh, you've got it bad, Tori," Mattie teased. "Maybe you should get to know Sean and Owen a bit better. I'm sure they would love to find out how you taste."

I gaped, "Did you...you, little miss I blush at the mention of sex, just make a sexual innuendo? Oh my stars, look at how far you have come. I'm so proud of you, koibito!" I told her, pulling her into a hug.

"Koibito tte yoba retai," a sexy voice said from behind us. I squealed and turned around to see Sean's green eyes dancing with mischief. "Kon'nichiwa, Odori-san, mata oaidekiteureshīdesu." (I want to be called sweetheart. Hello, little bird (Tori means bird in Japanese), a pleasure to see you again.)

I blinked in surprise. "Nihongo o hanasemasu ka?" (You speak Japanese?)

He chuckled, "My adopted parents are Japanese and I spent most of my childhood between the two countries," he answered and bowed slightly. I felt my eyes water as I returned the gesture. "I'm sorry if I upset you," he said softly, noticing my tears.

I swiped away the tears, "No, it's just been a long time since anyone has spoken it around me." I saw the question in his eyes, but was thankful he didn't ask me to explain. As if by perfect timing, his husband came up behind him.

"Hello Mattie, Tori, how are you both doing today?" he asked, slipping his hand into Sean's. Hmmm....a bit possessive I see.

"Hello Owen, I'm feeling a bit better. Tori thought I needed some fresh air, and I have to admit, she's right," Mattie said with a smile, then added, "By the way, did you know she nicknamed Luke, Kisses?"

My cheeks suddenly flushed full crimson and I nudged her. "I cannot believe you just threw me under the bus like that," I muttered.

Sean laughed while Owen just gave a smirk, "He may have mentioned that, little bird. He also mentioned you are rather skilled with knives. I think you scared at least five years off his life that night."

My eyes widened, "He startled me."

Owen took a step forward, coming just inches away from me, "He also mentioned your lips were rather divine." I felt a shiver pass through my entire body as his grey eyes locked on mine. I swear it made me feel like he was looking into my soul. "Quite the enigma, aren't you, love?"

"I...I don't know what you mean, Owen. I'm just me," I answered shakily. His eyes raked over my body, but it didn't make me feel creepy like when Carlos did it. Then he took my hand and placed a soft kiss on the back of it.

"There is nothing 'just' about you, Tori," he whispered before stepping back next to Sean.

They continued to walk with us, talking about random things. When we reached the edge of the garden, Mattie sat down on a bench, slightly winded. Sean knelt before her, her wrist in his hand as he took her pulse. I watched as he talked softly to her and felt Owen's presence closer to me. "She's going to be okay, you know that right?" he said.

I turned around, "How do you know that? She's still here, trapped between two lives, two worlds with no hope of resolution. What happens when she holds that baby and her guilt at losing her daughter begins to consume her again? How do we protect her from her own mind?" I felt myself begin to silently cry, my body trembling.

He pulled me against his chest, "Shh, love. I promise you she will be okay. She isn't alone and she never will be." I felt his lips touch the top of my head, "I know you want to keep her safe, but you need to take care of yourself also. Don't think I haven't noticed how you flinch around Carlos." I sucked in a hard breath at the mention of his name. "And that right there confirms my suspicions. His hand stopped as he felt the scars under my dress. "Carlos?" he asked.

I stiffened, "Some, but not all," I whispered. That was most definitely not a conversation for today. "He can't touch me anymore. Mattie made sure of that."

"Good," he said, "but if he ever does, just know it will be the last time." He lifted my chin, "I won't let him hurt you again, love." My face scrunched in confusion as he chuckled, then leaned down to kiss my lips gently. When he pulled back he had that smirk on his face and whispered, "Absolutely divine."

I started to say something when he quickly pushed us apart. I frowned until I heard Emilio's voice. "Mattie, there you are! I've been looking everywhere for you, mi Reina."

She smiled up at him as he sat next to her on the bench with Sean on her other side. Owen gave me a nod and a quick wink that made my insides flutter. After a few moments of talking between the three of them, Sean stood. "Why don't we give them some privacy," he said to Owen and me. "Besides," he grinned, "we need a guide to find our way out of this labyrinth."

I snorted, "Typical men can't follow directions."

He gave me a wicked grin, "Can you, little bird?" Holy hell what is it with these Americans?

Author's Notes: Please comment, vote, and follow!