Chapter 42

Sean

"Hey Dr. Green, how are you? I haven't heard from you in years," Dr. Bauer asked in a jovial tone.

"Well, to be honest, I'm in a bit of a situation. Is there any way we could meet in person, say today or tomorrow? I need your consultation on an urgent matter." I hoped he wouldn't push too much over the phone. If I could show him the records and documentation we had about Tori and her abduction, he might be more willing to help.

"You're in Berlin? Well, sure, I mean if you're already in the area. I have an opening at three today if that works for you," he offered.

"Thanks, Dr. Bauer, that would be perfect. We'll see you then," I thanked him and ended the call turning toward the others. "He has an opening at three. I think we need to keep our group small. If you don't mind, I think North should come just in case I need help with translation."

"The rest of us can work on surveillance of the area," Owen suggested.

"Hey, Sean," Corey said, frowning at his computer monitor. "According to this, Tori had a hysterosalpingogram and then a follow-up procedure just this morning. The records are complete. If I'm reading this right, she might be in the hospital right now."

I rushed over to look at the records he had found. Sure enough, she'd had an early morning procedure, and based on the notation, she would be hospitalized for at least three days as a precaution. This might be the perfect opportunity. I rubbed my chin as I thought aloud, "If Bauer will help us, this might be the perfect way to get her out without a confrontation. It would keep her safe and then we could resolve the Carlos matter without putting her in danger."

"Let's just hope the fucker believes you because if not, I'm going to lose my shit," Gabe muttered.

I think we all were...

****

I approached the reception desk while North held back a bit. "Hello, I'm Dr. Green. I have a consultation with Dr. Bauer at three."

The pixie-faced receptionist grinned, "Oh here you are. Looks like you were a late addition. Um, there's no reason..."

"Oh this is a doctor-to-doctor consultation, not a patient matter, miss," I explained.

She grinned and nodded her head, "Oh, sorry. I'm a bit new. Never had a consultation like this one. I'll let him know you're here."

I thanked her and then we took a seat on a leather-covered bench. The office was spacious and very upscale, much like the building that housed it. It was obvious Bauer had done well for himself. I only hope his integrity was still intact. We were going to need all the help we could get to save our girl.

Tori

I groaned when I shifted in the bed. I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. "There, there, dearie," a short woman in a nurse's uniform said, patting my arm. "That's the gas they use to expand your lady parts. Most patients say it hurts worse than the procedure. It will pass in a day or two. Until then, the pain will move up your body as the gas moves through you." She adjusted my pillows and checked the fluids in my IV. "Dr. Bauer gave you a mild pain medication and is keeping you on fluids until you can keep down regular food. He will stop by on his rounds about five or so. Can I get you anything for now?"

"Could I have something to drink? My throat is really dry," I asked.

"Sure thing," she smiled and stepped out into the hall returning with a large cup of ice water with a straw. "Just push the button if you need anything else or when you're ready to go to the bathroom. Don't try to get up alone, okay?"

I took a long sip of the water and nodded, then said, "Okay, I won't. Thank you." She gave another warm smile, then left.

I sat the cup on the table next to the bed and let out a sigh. It was weird being alone for a change. It seems like I haven't really been alone since before I was kidnapped at sixteen. I was always with the cartel members, then the guys, and now with Carlos and his men. I looked at the corded bar she'd given me and located the TV button. I flipped through channels, having no idea what I was even looking for until I finally settled on a comedy show of some kind. I didn't really know what was going on in it, but still, I found myself laughing and relaxed for the first time in a long time.

I got so lost in the show that I didn't hear Carlos come in. "I can't remember the last time I heard you laugh?"

I jolted and winced as I quickly stopped laughing. He frowned and came toward the bed. "Don't do that," he said.

"Do what, sir?" I asked.

"Don't assume I'm going to hurt you or be mad. I didn't mean there was anything wrong with you laughing, Tori. I was just noticing it." He pulled up a chair and put my hand in his. "What are you watching?"

I stared for a moment, then blinked trying to figure out why he was acting this way. "I, um, don't know. I just found it and started watching. It is funny though."

"Huh, well let's watch together, yes?" He suggested and I nodded, turning the volume back up. We sat watching the show as I stole side glances at him. The pure laughter I'd had earlier now became forced as I laughed only when he did.  

Author's Notes:  Do you think the doctor will help, or is he on Carlos's payroll?

Please comment, vote, share, and follow!