45

'Why I'm I an ass that just runs away from her problems?'
Aiko thought to herself walking to school.
Why did she have to ditch yesterday?! It was so embarrassing and now she was probably gonna be expelled.
If she didn't run away so often she wouldn't have to deal with her problems like this.
'Maybe if I just slip into class he won't notice-'

Aiko slid open the door and he immediately turned to her.
'Nevermind.'

She averted her eyes and walked to her seat, until of course her name was called.
"Zhu."
She stopped infront of him, she hadn't even made it past the front row of desks.
She pivoted and bowed to him.

"I'm sorry for my behavior yesterday Aizawa Sir, and I swear it won't happen again."
She promised, staring at the floor.
She was getting good at this whole apologizing thing.

"Well that doesn't change whether or not I give you an unexcused absence."
Aizawa said.
"Stand up."

Aiko did as she was told, heat rising to her face as she realized everyone was watching her and Aizawa's conversation.
"Yes sir I understand."

"Why did you do it?"
He asked Aiko and her eyes widened.

"Sir?"

"If you give me a honest, reasonable excuse I won't. But if you don't have one you'll end up with detention for three weekends."
If Aizawa liked Aiko a little more he probably would have taken her to speak about this in private.
But for some reason deep in the back of his mind he didn't, it wasn't a strong dislike and he couldn't even really comprehend why. He'd always had his favorites and least favorites, even if it was subconscious.
Maybe it was because she'd assaulted another student and gotten off without a punishment. He really didn't know.

But Aiko knew she couldn't afford three weekend detentions with her after school activities. Time was money, she finally actually understood that phrase.
She never had enough time.

"Well uh... I mean it's not really an excuse... It's just that uh."
She laughed nervously and looked at the floor.
"Well uh yesterday was um... It was kinda the anniversary of a day two years ago, there was a death in my family and I just... I just wasn't in it you know?"

A death in her family was probably an understatement. Tora was literally her best friend, she really was her only friend in middle school except Kendo. But she was a million times closer to Tora on so many levels.
"I'm sorry for your loss, but I can't let you get out of this without any punishment."
Aizawa said rubbing his eyes.

"Of course not."
Aiko shuffled from side to side.

"You'll have one detention, after class today for an hour. That's it, go sit down."
He said jotting something down on the papers on his desk.

"Thank you!"
Aiko walked back over to her seat with a small nervous smile, that went way better then she thought it would. She could totally handle one detention on a weekday. All she'd have to do it's text Nishi and tell her.
She was very aware of the attention she was getting from her friends and classmates, the pitying looks she got for getting detention and having some mysterious death in her family.
She knew those close to her would have questions, and she'd probably tell them about it.

She'd leave out the part where the only reason she personally hadn't killed herself was because she didn't want her mom to have to live knowing both her children killed themselves. It wasn't her fault, she'd done everything she could've while raising her two girls.

The bell rang, dismissing the kids to lunch. Aiko was in a pleasant mood since her conversation with Aizawa had passed and she chatted with Jirou and Toru about what the girls had planed for the weekend until Toru and to go catch up to Ojiro.
Aiko smiled and waved as Toru walked away and suddenly felt someone wrap their hands around her waist. Her body stiffened at the random human contact and she turned to look at who was suddenly hugging her.
"Oh! Denki?"
She asked the boy who had her wrapped in a hug.

"Sorry, I just felt like you needed a hug. You alright? You know? After yesterday?"
He asked and she blushed a little.

"Yeah I am, I was just in a mood you know? It was probably just dramatic."
She said. The rest of her group had hung back to talk with her.

"Didn't sound dramatic.."
Jirou shrugged.

"Yeah! Also, if you don't mind me asking... Who died in your family?"
Kirishima asked shyly.

"No I don't mind, it was uh... My sister? Two years ago. It was pretty tough, her being my twin and all."
Aiko confessed.

Denki pulled away.
"Woah, you had a twin?"
He asked and Aiko nodded.

"Yeah."
She opened her phone and pulled up her home screen background. Which was an old picture of her and Tora as kids.
"Identical twins, her name was Tora."

She showed him.
"Woah, you were identical. Which on are you?"
He asked squinting at the picture.

"I'm on the left, you can tell because Tora had a beauty mark on her cheek."

"How did she die?"
Sero asked and Kirishima elbowed him.

"You can't just casually ask how someone's twin died bro!"

"Oh my bad."
Sero looked away.

"No it's fine, I understand that you guys are probably curious."
Aiko said with a smile to turned kinda sad.
"Well she actually... She killed herself."

There was a moment of stiff silence after that news. Which was normal, most of the time when Aiko told people what happened they reacted way more cautiously then when they just knew Tora had died. Because there's something about suicide and people deciding they didn't want to continue with this life that made people much more sensitive.

"How old was she?"
Jirou asked quietly.

"Thirteen, we were thirteen... She was quirkless like my mom, and she apparently had been bullied a lot by her classmates. I took different classes then she did Because she was much better academically then I was, so we were barely around each other at school... So I didn't know."

"That's horrible!"
Mina said in shock.
"How could people treat someone like that?!"

"I don't know."