141

BELLA-WHEN WE made it inside the house we realized we were the last group to show up, "Isabella!" My grandma, Julissa, hugs me, "¿Cómo estás?" How are you?

BELLA
-
WHEN WE made it inside the house we realized we were the last group to show up, "Isabella!" My grandma, Julissa, hugs me, "¿Cómo estás?" How are you?

"¿Bien y usted?" I ask, "abuela, este es mi esposo." Grandma, this is my husband.

"¿Su esposo?" You're husband? She asks with shock written on her face. I nod with a smile, "¿Cuántos años tienes?" How old are you?

"33," I tell her.

"Hola!" She goes up to him and hugs him, "¿Cómo te llamas?"

"That means what is your name right?" He asks.

"Yes."

"Nikki," he hugs her back.

"Julissa," she introduces herself.

By the look on his face I could tell he felt a bit awkward about the situation. It's what every couple has to go through, meeting the family. Except we're already married, with kids...

"Y mis hijos," and my kids. If she wasn't shocked before, she definitely is now.

She goes up to Storm being held by Monica and squishes her cheeks. "¿Cómo te llamas?" She asks Gunner.

"Gunner," she says sweetly.

"¿Hablas Español?" You speak Spanish? She asks with a prized look on her face, Gunner nods proudly as she rewardingly hits my shoulder.
-
We all had to talk about what was going to happen with my dad. Of course everything went to my mom but the funeral would be simple, the body would be brought straight to the graveyard, there would be a priest present, and then he would be buried. It would be simple, but it would get the job done.

Nikki and I laid down in bed, it was nearing noon and our kids were sleeping, "Is there anything you wanna do before tomorrow?" I ask, laying on Nikki's bare chest. He shrugs and keeps a sorrow looking face, "hey what's going on?"

"Nothing," she doesn't look at me but keeps his hand on my back.

"Nikki."

"Fine, I've just been feeling a bit embarrassed since we've gotten here," he sighs, and finally makes eye contact with me.

"Why's that?"

"I'm the only one here that doesn't speak Spanish," he begins, "and it's a bit weird not being able to communicate with anyone else, I don't know I just feel weird. Don't know why."

"I'm sorry Nikki, if it helps I will try to translate things for you more often," I smile and place a chaste kiss on his chest.

"That would be helpful," he smiles back, "is there anything you recommend doing?"

"We can go swimming in the river," I recommend, "we can bring the kids, Monica, try to get Lydia, Roxanna probably won't go only because she's with her mom that she hasn't seen in years."

"That would be cool," he looks at the ceiling for a moment and squints his eyes, clearly something else is on his mind, "what else are you thinking about."

NIKKI
-
"THIS IS the grandma that chased that lady down the street with a machete right?" I ask, tucking my lip under my teeth.

"Yes..."

"Does she still have a machete?"

Happiness hit her like a bazooka, her smile grew, and her hands became all jittery, "I thought you would never ask," she takes my hand and pulls me down the stairs, "¿Dónde está el machete?"

Since I've been around Spanish speaking for a while I have been trying to pick up my context clues. For example; Dónde means where, machete sounds similar to machete. So she's asking where the machete is.

Julissa uses her lips to point, I didn't know where she meant, but Bella knew she meant it was tucked under the couch, "Aha!" She takes the protective cover off, "pretty neat huh?"

"Holy shit that is cool!" I laugh, "Can I hold it?"

She hands me the large knife and I start to swing it while making Swoosh sounds.

"Hey hey, be careful there cowboy," she holds onto my wrist, "remember our insurance isn't valid here."
-
At around 3 we headed to the river, on the way there she bought a quesadilla. But not the kind you're thinking of. It's more like a sweet bread that has cheese in it and sesame seeds sprinkled on top.

"There is absolutely no way I never showed you what a salvadoran quesadilla was," she says, taking a bite, "in the 8 years I have known you, I find that hard to believe."

"Well you shouldn't because I have never had this before," I say then take another bite, "but it's fucking delicious."

"Dip that bitch in some coffee," Monica makes an okay sign, "and you got yourself a treat."

BELLA
-
BUT OF COURSE, the entire time we're here won't be all fun and games. My fathers body was displayed right in front of the place where he will be buried. My grandfather's body is also placed just a couple feet away from him.

I stood there in front of him, Storm was in Nikki's arms, and his free hand was placed on my shoulder. My cheeks started to get sore, I didn't cry but asked Nikki, "can you give us a few moments please?" He nodded and quickly walked away.

There I was, alone with my father. "I know it's wrong to speak poorly on the dead but I really fucking hated you, I'm not mad at you for getting deported but I am mad that you took it upon yourself to go across the fucking world to stay with my mother instead of taking care of your children first. For Lydia, for me, and even Roxanna, I really fucking hope you are stuck in the ninth circle of hell with only your torso sticking out and having Lucifer chew on your soul," I wipe a stray tear away from my cheek, "goodbye."

The rest of my family spent their last moment with him and then finally he was carefully placed into the ground and we went back to my grandma's house. I sat there in the corner spaced out with a cup of coffee in my hand and a piece of semita not wanting to talk to or be around anyone, not Monica, Lydia, Nikki, and it might sound messed up but not my kids either. It feels weird being in this state around them.

Hopefully Nikki won't mind handling them for the day. I'm sure my mom or Roxanna might actually spend some time with them. My abuela might accidentally stare at them for too long and touch Storm because she's afraid to curse her with Ojo.

"¿Quieres café?" Do you want coffee? I smile realizing Nikki said it.

"Por favor," Please.

"How did I do?" He asks, placing the cup next to me.

"We'll have to work on the accent but you got the words right," I smile into a kiss, "where are Gunner and Storm."

"They're around," he widens his eyes, "you have a lot of family."

"Yeah I know," I heavily sigh, "believe me when I say this isn't even half of it, my grandma over there, she had 12 kids, 12, and most of them had at least one kid so you can imagine how many cousins I have."

Nikki chuckles, "Yeah, it's a bit funny though, all your aunts started to pass Storm around because of something that has to do with Ojo?" he questions himself.

"Oh yeah, it's like some curse that people believe in, if you look at a baby but don't touch them they'll think the baby's cursed," I explain.

"Ah," we stayed silent, "how're you feeling?"

I took a deep breath, "Weird, I don't know if I'm sad, he didn't raise me, the last time I saw him was in 85', meaning I was," I start to count the years, "carry over the one."

"27."

"Yes, 27."
-
hey y'all, it's tech week so I'm gonna be posting a bit late for the next week since I'll be out until 9pm.