🌹 | The dive. (4)

I sit on the side of the pavement, waiting for the twinkie to pull up. I look at my face on my phone screen. I have a bruise just under my eye, my lip is busted. Normally I didn't get this marked when he used to do it.

I look at ny wrist, it's bruised with how hard he was holding it. I pull up my sleeve and hold it. What do I do about the bruise..

I hear 2 beeps come around the corner. Shit it's them.

Make an excuse, make an excuse.

The door pulled open.

"Whoop whoop! Couldn't resist seeing us for more than an hour huh?" jj laughs. John b seems better, he's driving. thank god.

I smile and hop in quickly, hoping jj won't notice my face just yet. I rub my face pretending to be tired.

"Well how come you..." jj looks at me, "Why you rubbing your face?"

Shit.

"I'm just so tired bro."

"Take your hand off your face."

Shit, Shit, Shit.

"What?" I slowly remove my hand.

"What the fuck. Darla what the fuck happened." He says, a face of serious concern.

He only calls me by my full name in bad situations.

"Oh my god, I forgot to tell you. Before I went inside, Sarah tried to like tell me to 'watch my friends'." I gulp. I'm totally making this shit up off the top of my head.

"And.. like she Clarks me across the head and I'm like bitch what! And we get into this huge ass cat fight." Please believe me.

"No way dude, you and Sarah? I wish I was there!" John b laughs from the drivers seat.

Phew.

"I know, I fully knocked her out of it though, she was all bleeding and shit." I chuckle. Okay that's enough lying.

"Why did you come home?" jj starts getting all serious. it's actually pretty scary.

"I just couldn't stand my dad and his prissy wife." I say, looking at him to make sure he believes me. Liars tend to not make eye contact.

"Oh, okay." He says.

_____________________________

The Rooster crows so fucken loud I actually want to pick it up and drop kick it into next year.

I hear a door close, and a can clattering along the floor inside. It sit up to see Sheriff Peterkin standing over me.

I cough, nervous. "Sheriff, what um- what are you doing out here?"

"Just chatting with your friend John B, what about you? You don't live here." She tilts her head.

"Uh, just crashed for the night."

She squints, then leans over further. What the actual fuck.

"You hear about Scooter Grubbs?"

Like jj always says, "No, I didn't actually..?" deny, deny deny.

"That's funny, he was found washed up on the shore. Apparently he went riding into the sea during Agatha. You know anything? about a submerged wreck, anything of it?" She taps her foot waiting for an answer.

I shrug. "No, this is all new to me."

"Your friend, in there. He's up for exile, I'm sure you're familiar with that." She raises back up and tilts her head.