🌿| Angel Oak. (31)

I tie the laces on my docs, rubbing my eyes with exhaustion.

Suddenly, distant chattering could be heard outside.

I stand up, quickly checking the mirror to see my situation.

Good enough for an orphan.

I go to my door and open it, getting the biggest jump-scare when Rafe Cameron is seen standing right there.

Ew.

I know he has already seen me, so I close my door behind me and start walking to the staircase.

"Darla." He says.

I hold my hand up. "Don't talk to me Rafe."

"Hey, hey. Listen to me." He runs over and stops me by blocking my way.

I look up at him blankly.

"Are you okay?"

I scoff. "Am I okay? God, you're pathetic."

He rolls his eyes. "I mean I just wanted to check on you."

"Check on me after choking me? You're a doll." I smile sarcastically.

"Darla can you just hear me out?" He says as I try to walk away.

I sigh. "Why didn't you admit to your wrong doings."

He frowns, I can tell he feels guilt, as he fucking should.

I walk up to him. "You are the murderer. You took your Kook advantage and ran with it."

"There's a reason.."

"What's the reason? You wanted to be daddy's little boy? Grow up, Rafe. Welcome to the real world. You shoot someone dead, you pay your consequences." I say, rage building up.

I see his eyes start to tear up as he looks away from me in attempt to stop me from noticing.

"Darla you don't understand the extents I would go through to protect my family name." His voice is slightly broken from the lump in his throat.

I groan. "It's no excuse, Rafe!"

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry I- I hurt you, but you don't understand the shit.." He shakily taps his head aggressively. "The shit that was running through my head."

I cross my arms as he goes through some sort of psychotic episode.

"I- I couldn't lose my father, and.. now he's gone." He sniffles.

I blink.

"I.. I'm sorry, Darla."

I stare at him with no expression.

"You don't have to forgive me, all right? I know. I know you probably despise me." He nods. "And I understand."

He runs his hand through his floppy bangs with stress.

I nod, realising I've gone a bit teary eyed. "Okay Rafe."

I turn around to walk down the stairs.

"And your welcome." He chirps.

I turn my head a little, what is he talking about?

"My dad originally told Shoupe that you did it too but.. I told them you didn't. I'm the reason you were taken off of the wanted posters."

I shake my head. "God, you're a life saver, Rafe. Maybe if you took the fall for your acts then I'd be a little more grateful."

I stomp down the stairs and head for the front door.