🌊| the escape. (43)

NARRATORS POV:

The guard pushes Darla back into the room, she stumbles before he closes the door behind her.

Rafe looks at her. "What happened."

She sits on the bed, ignoring him and only staring at the floor.

"You're gonna have to talk to me at some point." He sighs, getting a bit aggravated with the silent treatment he has been getting.

"Rafe, I don't need to talk to you. And you know exactly why." She peeks a little at him.

He sighs, not wanting to be reminded.

"You killed Peterkin, do you remember that?" Darla shakily says. "I was there. I watched you. And you still framed my best friend. And after all you've put Sarah through."

"I was protecting my father, okay?" He shouts.

She stands up, having had enough of his bullshit. "Stop using that as your poor excuse, Rafe! It's useless, it's useless after you shot and murdered an innocent women."

"She was going to kill my father." Rafe says in defence.

"She was going to arrest him for his wrongdoings." Darla snaps back.

He exhales, turning around and trying to catch his breath as he sits back into a chair.

Darla stares at him as he sort of hyperventilates.

"I'm as much of a victim as she is." He looks at the ground, still breathing in and out quickly.

Her eyes weaken as she sits back onto the bed.

"No? Think about it. Okay. What did I get for shooting Peterkin, huh? Nothing. Okay?" He explains.

Darla rubs her arm as he desperately tries to get her to understand him.

"I had nothing against her, I mean, I... I... I liked her. She was my sister, Darl." He shrugs.

Darla freezes when she hears him call her 'Darl'.

Darl isn't a drastic difference from Darla. It's letter off. But hearing him say it brought back memories. Good memories. But that hurts.

"You think I wanted to make that choice, huh?" He splutters, she sees him getting soft. She'd always used to recognise him getting soft and sensitive.

"What I did was a gift from me to my father for.. for him, and I got screwed because of it, okay?" He points to himself. "So don't get that look when I say I'm a victim, all right? I am!"

Darla looks away from him.

He looks down, he can't help to defend himself all the time. It's in his nature. "I will admit, though, what I.. what I did to Sarah... what I tried to do, um..."

His breath hitches as he holds back tears when he remembers the pit of sadness and hopelessness he was in at that point in his life.

Darla clenches her jaw as she turns back to him when he stutters to finish his sentence.

"What I tried to do to Sarah, I admit that was wrong. I know that. All right?" A tear rolls down his cheek as his eyes squint to try trap the rest. "So.. you don't have to remind me."

Her face keeps the expression it last had, but she'd never normally see him cry. She saw him cry once when she tried to save him from drugs, but this was different. He felt guilt. Sorrow.

He turns around and begins to slap his head.

Darla goes from a bit of pity to just annoyance at his stupidity. Why is he doing all that. "Oh god." She mutters.