🌊| Her 'Kook year.' (39)

June 27
2018

Darlas flashback, 14 years old.

I remember feeling empty.

The day I stepped foot into my dads huge shiny, granite covered home is the day I realised something.

I was not my fathers daughter.

We always had our differences; he was always stubborn and self isolating. Whilst I preferred to go out and see the works of the world. Explore it.

That's why I always stood up for mom when he roared at her.

He used to be so horrible to mom, he screamed at her day by day. And disappeared for weeks and weekends at random. You might think that it must've been so hard, wondering where my father was and hoping he'd return.

Nope.

Whenever my dad randomly left, mom and I would pop a bottle and eat all the snacks he funded.

I miss my mom and I's stay in days, where John b would call to the house but I'd refuse to go out. Or JJ would show up on his bike, but I'd keep mine on the chain, refusing to move from the comfy spot mom and I were planted in on the couch. We read magazines and laughed at the dramatic headlines, finishing hundreds of cans of salt and vinegar flavoured pringles.

I miss my mom.

"Darla?" A voice called out.

I bolted my drooping head to the direction of the beaming voice.

A concerned Kie faced me. "You blacked out, you can't be drunk so soon, right?"

I almost forgot about the fact I was situated at another of the parties Sarah invited Kie and I to.

I hadn't fully adjusted to the 'Kook life' at this point. Kie had, she was a natural in my eyes. Sarah tried to teach me everything I needed to know, but it all seemed to go in one ear and out the other.

"No, I'm good." I sigh. "Just thinking."

Kie cocked an eyebrow. "Thinking? At a party? Parties aren't for thinking." She turned to Sarah who was kicked up on the seat beside us.

"Is she clocked out? What did she have to drink?" I chuckle a little with my word. Sarah has a very very low tolerance to any substance or alcohol.

"Literally like.. one vodka." Kie nods.

I scoff, walking over to grab the cup hanging from her hand. "Let's keep it that way, then."

"Aren't you scared that your dad'll catch you here?" Kie asks as I set the emptied cup onto the table, the blasting music muffling her words a little.

I roll my eyes. "I couldn't care less, because he's not my real dad."

Kies eyes widen a small bit. "Wait, what?"

"Well, he is my biological dad. But we're not alike in the slightest." I shrug. "Mom and I used to wonder if Mom had a one night stand she didn't remember, because I'm definitely nothing like him."

I smile at the memory I just recalled, but gets sudden chills when a cold hand touches my right shoulder.

I dash around to see who or what just touched me, jumping with it.

"Relax, just me." Rafe smiled with his teeth at me, winking.

I clenched my jaw. "Can you approach me in a less creepier way next time?"