🌊| Impulses. (47)

"Honestly, the hardest part is gonna be security, all right? So most of the guys are gonna be at the rail yard."  JJ explains as I look out onto the waves while the boat were on is smoothly transporting us to Wilmington.

We're plotting for our second attempt at taking the cross back from the Cameron's.

"You guys are getting ahead of yourself, as usual. We have no way to transport the cross. What you think, on JJ's motorcycle?" Cleo says, the only other smart person in the group other than me, of course.

"That's not my fault." JJ plays with his hat.

I kick my feet up. "What're our options?"

"Oh my god." Sarah holds her hands up to her mouth as she slowly places her elbows on the table we're sat at.

Everyone looks to her. "What?"

She exhales, glancing to her left.

We all turn, un-discreetly to where she's looking.

I blink when I see Topper, and alongside him is Tanner.

"Welp." I can't help but giggle. "Haven't seen them guys in a hot minute."

"Why are they everywhere?" Kiara shrugs.

I can see JJ death staring Tanner, it's a bit too obvious.

"But.. I bet you they have ways to transport the cross." Pope smirks.

Everyone now looks at me and Sarah, who are sitting next to eachother.

"No."
"Absolutely not."

"Yes." Pope nods.

"Sarah can, I'm not." I hold my hands up.

"No, no question. Not doing it." Sarah crosses her arms.

"It's our last resort, please." Cleo holds her hands together.

"What would John B think?" Sarah asks.

"I think John B would completely understand." Pope smiles. "It's the treasure, he'll let it slide."

"I'm not flirting with Topper for that, no." Sarah leans back.

Pope rolls his eyes, looking at me.

I was about to speak when he interrupts me. "You don't have anyone to be cheating on, and Tanner has a truck."

I clench my jaw.

"Topper.. he might be more reliable.." JJ finally says after going silent through this whole Tanner, Topper situation.

I raise my eyebrow.

"Why don't you both try it out, then we'll have two options if they both say yes, the more the merrier." Kie shrugs.

I see JJ getting all nonchalant and looking away, clearly he cares. I could use this as a fantastic opportunity to piss him off and get revenge.

"Fine." I nod. "Sarah and I'll flirt our way to a ride."

"Darla!" Sarah chokes.

"It's fine, Sar. It's for Pope and his heirloom." It's for me and my revenge, actually.

We stand up together.

______________________________

"I just.. I cant believe you're alive." Tanner laughs, staring at me like I'm a historical artefact that moved.

I look down.

"How.. how are you? I mean, are you good.. are you..."

I was about to say yes immediately by default, but remember I'm supposed to be a damsel in distress. "You know, Tanner.. things have been real bad lately." I nod, forcing a few watery eye episodes.