🌹 | where it went downhill. (15)

JJS FLASHBACK: 13 years old.

April 22nd,
2017.

John b, Pope and I sat at Heywards.

"I'm worried." John b said, tapping his finger on the table.

"Dude, we all are." I say.

Heyward walked in. We asked him to call Darlas mom on his phone because we can't afford our own phones.

"Anything?" Pope sits up straight.

"Nothin'.. but, why don't y'all go check Josey and Darlas house, see if you can find anyone there." He shrugged.

"Yeah! Yeah. Let's go!" I jump up.

We run over to our bikes. We all have names for our bikes.

Mines called 'The poguie'
Popes is called 'Scholar'
and John bs is called 'Twinkie'

Darlas is called 'The bogeycatcher 3000' but, the 'Bogey' for short.

We cycle off down the winding roads of the cut, until we stop at the drive of Darlas house.

"What the.." I peek down the driveway to see 5 police cars surrounding her house.

"We have to get outta here," Pope trembles.

"No! Dude, Darlas in there!" I tell him. "We gotta go get Darla."

We all drop our bikes and run down the driveway.

We see Sheriff Peterkin crossing her arms outside the house, talking with someone.

"Hey, isn't that Darlas neighbour?" John b suggests.

I look over. "Oh, yeah.."

Suddenly, someone stops us.

"Hey, no entry kids. Run along home." He says.

I look at his badge. "Listen, Officer Shoupe, our friends in there. And she's probably pissed off with all the police cars surrounding her. So we're here to take her."

"Run along home I said, Darla is leaving very soon." He shakes his head.

"Leaving, leaving... What's that supposed to mean?" John b asks.

"Well it means what it means, shes staying some place else for a few nights until we look deeper into this situation." He crosses his arms.

"What situation?" Pope asks.

"The situation that's none of your business, go home."

"Fine, we were just leaving." I scoff.

"That's right." He nods, turning around and walking in.

"Psst, follow me." I whisper, running behind one of the cop SUVs.

We peek out behind the car, trying to find a moment to run for the back door, where Darla's room is.

Finally, when coast is clear, we run for the house and quietly open the door and sneak into the utility room.

We hear some cops talking inside, so we run over to behind the door entering the kitchen.

"Darla, you said you hear a door opening at what time?" I hear an officer say.

"Stop asking me stupid freaking questions and go find my mom!" I hear Darla sob.

"That's her." Pope whispers.

"What about her mom?" John b whispers.

"We need you to cooperate with us. There is a search party out there looking for your mother, okay?"