🌊| Poguelandia, thats what we called it. (40)

My eyes slowly blink open.

The fresh aroma of the sea salted waves hit my senses immediately as I crack a few bones while stretching. I rub the sleep from my eyes and yawn a little, my vision coming back into play when I see the swash travel up the sandy shore barely missing the mat I crafted for myself and the rest of the group.

"Darl, fucking finally." I hear someone's voice call out from a close distance.

"Mmm." I croak, swivelling around to Kie who was busy foraging for wood for tonight's fire.

She set them down and dusted her hands on her shirt. "You gonna help me collect some of this shit?"

I drop my head back with a huff. "Ugh.."

"Hey, you needa help out more in the mornings." She rests a hand on her hip with sass.

"Excuse me, I do help out." I scoff in disbelief that she'd say that, I practically made our entire sleeping area with not a lot of help, only Cleo getting some materials for me. But that's it.

"Yeah, I said in the mornings."

I roll my eyes a little.

"So, are you or are you not?" She asks.

The only noises are the waves as I contemplate my decision. "Fine."

She smiles a little with proudness in my response. "Let's go!"

______________________________

We set the last set of wood down and I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear.

"God, I could use some shampoo." Kie groans as she feels her hair in disgust.

I nod. "Conditioner too."

"Hey, you guys!" We hear our favourite Caribbean accent call out for us.

I look over. "Whatcha need, Cleo?"

She holds up a few freshly picked berries. "Wanna sneak a few in before lunch?"

I smile as we jog over. "Thought you'd never ask."

She hands us a few into our hands and we chew on them with pleasure, these berries have been the highlight of our entire stay here on the island.

"Dunno what these are, but.. once we get back- I'm letting the entire world in on these." Kie says in between swallows.

I laugh a little.

"When we get back?" Cleo softly says.

We look over at her.

"Well, yeah, when we get rescuers to save us and bring us home, obviously." Kie nods.

I clench my jaw a little.

"Yeah." Cleo sighs.

"Hey, you'll stay with us." Kie grabs her shoulder reassuringly.

I digest my last berry. "No doubt."

She cracks a small grin. "Thanks, you guys."

I side hug her, she's picked up her english pretty well from staying with us this long. We've taught her about Pogues and all the slang we use. She's a quick learner.

_______________________________

I walk out onto the sand as the rest are resting under the huge palms leaves when I see JJ, his feet up and carving out a new hunting stick under the trees.

I really miss us, not that we've changed, but we changed. It's hard to explain but we're not the same JJ and Darl. He's been weirdly distant recently.

I plot myself beside him, spooking him a little.