Chapter 16

The plane ride was lengthy in duration, and very dull. But Cali was beautiful. The sand was tan, and powdery, and felt good between my toes. The sky was a light blue, with no clouds inhabiting it whatsoever.

The turquoise ocean was calm, and the way the light shined on the ocean made it almost shimmer. There were seagulls and hermit crabs milling around on the beach, looking for food.

Everything looked like a calendar. The oceans were picturesque, each shop and pier was cute and homey. I loved it.

It was paradise. Absolute paradise.

We drove to the hotel we were staying at, and I unpacked, sorting all of my clothes into drawers, and getting comfy. All the models have separate rooms, and I was glad. I liked my privacy.

In fifteen minutes, I had to go to my manager's room to get the weekly agenda. Then we would get assigned what month we would be in the calendar, and have stylists help us pick out swimsuits that look good on us, and also are colored with something that reminds you of that month.

I walked to my manager's room, and knocked on the door. Most of the other models were there, and eventually the rest of them drifted in. So my manager began.

He handed out the agendas and on the top it said our months. I got the month of May. I was ecstatic. The month of May brought back so many memories. It was when Liam and I first met. 'Stay Strong' I told myself, as tears pooled in my eyes. I wiped them away, and then followed the other girls to the car we were all taking to the studio, where a bounty of swimsuits were stored, and ready to be tried on.

After a short car ride of expressing our excitement, we arrived at the studio. Before we dispersed, the manager spoke to us.

"Each model got assigned to a stylist that would help them pick out a swimsuit, and then ultimately make the final decision on which swimsuit you will model for the calendar. The next two days we will take pictures, and then after that we will take a break on day four, then on days five and six we will pick the pictures to go in the calendar. Day seven we will do a quick fashion show, and then fly home." He reviewed the schedule, and then let us pick out our stylists.

After surveying the variety of stylists, I decided on Alicia. She was in her twenties, about my age, and looked like a fashionista.

"Hey! I'm Alicia, and what is your name?"

"I am Malika, and I am so glad you are my stylist," I replied.

"Malika...I feel like I know that name," she said as we scanned through the racks of clothing.

"Well...Liam Payne and I have some history-" I cut myself off, hoping she would know the story.

"Ah, you're Malika Smith!" she exclaimed, as we skimmed through the racks once more.

I nodded, and then we talked about what kind of swimsuits and colors I should be looking for.

"Definitely vibrant colors and something that contrasts with your hair. It's very gorgeous and we want it to stand out," said Alicia, pulling some purple swimsuits from the rack.

After 30 minutes of browsing for swimsuits, and talking to each other, we decided to head to the dressing room. I tried on each and every one of the swimsuits, and we narrowed it down to two: An aqua strapless bikini and a purple bikini with straps.

"I say aqua, it contrasts with your hair," said Alicia, resting her chin on her hands.

"I agree!" I said a little too perky, and then slipped back into my regular clothes.