Chapter 23

*5 votes 6 comments till next update. Sorry its short* 12/30/15: updated!!

"Malika I don't know what to say. I thought we got over all of this. The promise meant nothing, err it means nothing now. I love Danielle, and I will only ever love you as a friends. Nothing more, nothing less."

I gulped. I guess I needed to hear that.

"Malika! I thought I could trust you and you just threw that all away! I HATE You! Liam, if you want to be friends with this girl, then we are NOT getting married! Take. Your Pick." Danielle screamed.

Liam stuttered something inaudible, and then turned towards me. I gave him a look that said I was hurt, but I understood.

"I pick-"

"Liam, let me see if you know what you are throwing away. Malika is beautiful, intelligent and you would be a fool not to pick her." Niall gave his speech triumphantly. I looked at Liam. All of this was on him now.

"Look I may have crashed your wedding, but it was because I want you back. I went to all that trouble just so you could see what you have standing right in front of you. I guess now, since you say this all doesn't matter, then just pick Danielle. She is a great girl and you are lucky to have her. Here's your ring back. I guess I wore it all these years for nothing. I am sorry for being a homewrecker. I'm so sorry for everything. I wanted you back Liam, but now I realize that you'll never be the same. I longed for the old Liam all this time. People change, and you did. But you can't change back. I miss the old you, I want to marry the old you, I love the old you. But that's not who you are anymore. I'm so sorry that I didn't have this realization sooner. I'm so sorry, to everyone. To Danielle, to Liam, to the bride and groom's friends and family, to everyone here. I'm sorry.  " I slipped the ring off my finger, and placed it in Liam's palm. I manually curled his finger around it, and gave him one last look that to me said 'Thanks for throwing it all away.'

"And even though I cannot undo the damage I have already done, I will order you all a new cake, and put the wedding music back, but most importantly, the wedding will resume. These two will marry the loves of their lives." My voice cracked as I said the last sentence, and I exited the church. Tears blurred my vision as I ran as fast as I could away from the church.

Tears blurred my vision as I ran behind the chapel, and up a hill behind the church. I ran down the hill to find a willow tree I could sit under. I collapsed to the ground and held my head in my hands and began to cry.

I was a horrible friend to Danielle. I crashed one of my best friend's wedding. I betrayed Liam and Danielle's trust. Promises were broken.

Promises were broken. Trusts were broken. Trust is like a piece of paper. Once you crumple it, it can never be fully smoothed out again.

"I'm so sorry," I sobbed to nobody. I was whimpering softly by myself. Leaves were blowing in the breeze, flailing and fluttering about. Turning over.

"That's it," I mumbled.

"Turning over a new leaf."

"Turning over a new leaf." I repeated.

I stayed put under the tree. I let the leaves float down onto my hair, and let them get intertwined with the strands of my red hair. I slowly lied down and fell into a restless slumber, yet a lengthy one.

"*Flashback*

I was walking down the hall by myself, going to science. I was pretty late, but I knew my teacher wouldn't mind. He was pretty easy going. As I turned the corner to enter the laid-back classroom, he put his hand on my shoulder and spun me around. We were face to face. He led me to my locker, and opened it. He knew my combo and I knew his.

He shoved my books in my locker, and slammed the door. He led me out of the school, and onto a fresh grass field right behind the playground. We plopped down and he took a small black box out of his pocket. I blushed and my gaze drifted to something else other than him. He delicately turned my head back to him. My gaze was locked on his eyes. He placed the box in my hand, and motioned for me to open it.

I opened it, and it was a little plastic ring from a vending machine. I giggled, and then he handed me a note in a way so I could see his matching ring. I giggled and then unfolded a piece of paper he gave me.

'Malika,

So I know that its 6th grade, and if I were you I wouldn't really be concerned about this, my mind would be on science. But stop thinking about science. I really like you Malika, and this may come off childish, but I want to marry you some day. In fact, when you turn 20, we should get married. Here are some promise rings to remind you.

I smiled, and brought him in a hug. I whispered, "I promise," in his ear. Then we spent the rest of the day talking, and looking at the clouds.

I woke up suddenly, my breathing speeding up. Everything was exactly identical to the sixth grade. Except one thing:

It wasn't Liam making the promise.

It was Niall.