Chapter 25

*5 votes 3 comments until next update* 12/30/15: updated!!

<><><>Two weeks later<><><>

By now everyone was taking care of Niall. Even Danielle and Liam could overlook me for a couple of weeks to take care of Niall before he healed in some way shape or form.

It was hard. I would cry myself to sleep every night. Niall was losing more and more weight. He was unhealthily skinny. He could barely walk, but his smile always lit up the room. It's what kept me alive. So if Niall died, I knew a part of me would die with him.

We all had to stay optimistic. But it was hard. With Niall getting weaker every day, we were losing hope. Niall was the sunshine of all of our lives, and he was fading. When he spoke, he croaked, and he was frail and fragile looking. It seemed as if he was the one staying optimistic for all of us.

One morning, it was time to take Niall in for his final treatment. If this was unsuccessful, then we would have to find a donor. I have been calling Niall's doctor every day, checking to see in anyone has Niall's blood type that is willing to donate 50% of their liver. So far nobody has volunteered.

I helped Niall into the backseat of the car, and I fastened his seatbelt ever so carefully. I didn't want to put him in any more pain than he already was suffering.

We drove for a while to the doctor, who was out of town. We would drive 1000+ miles for Niall.

He fragilely intertwined his fingers with mine, and smiled warmly.

"I love you."

"I love you, too."

The car ride was a couple hours long, but anything for Niall. When we got to the hospital, I unbuckled my seatbelt and Niall's and helped Niall out of the car and into the hospital. I was supporting most of his weight, and it was a little challenging, but this was literally a matter of life or death.

"Mr. Horan?" asked the receptionist. I stood up with Niall, and we hobbled into the room.

"So this is your last treatment and if this doesn't work we have to find a donor," explained the doctor.

Niall nodded robotically, and then I had to leave the room so Niall could get the treatment.

I sat in the waiting room, and drifted into a restless sleep. Niall would have to stay in the hospital anywhere from 3-4 days. I was accustomed to talking with others who wound up in the waiting area and sleeping in the uncomfortable chairs.

The next morning I was allowed to see Niall. He looked about the same as he did yesterday, but more uneasy and hopeful at the same time. I was feeling the same emotions.

I was allowed an hour with Niall, and I intend to use my time wisely.

"How are you doing?" I asked, settling into a chair.

"Okay, not better, not worse, just the same, just a little more hopeful."

I nodded. "I am hopeful too."

The room fell silent for a moment, but then Niall sparked conversation again, before I had a chance too.

"Malika, thank you for being so supportive of me, I know that this has to take a toll on you and your life and I really want to thank you for standing by me. I am so lucky to have you."

"You're welcome; I would do anything for you."

Niall beckoned me to sit beside him on his hospital bed, and I gladly accepted the invitation.

"If I die, I don't want you to think that I suffered before I die. I want you to know that I was happy because of you."

I blinked back tears, and nodded.

"If this doesn't work then there is still a chance that we can find some donors," I pointed out, trying to stay positive.

Niall nodded back, and that gave me a little more help.

"What if we tell the public? Some girl is bound to donate some of her liver for you," I pondered.

"No, don't tell them. I want my donor to donate because it was their intention from the beginning. I don't want my donor to be someone just saving me so One Direction won't break up."

I understood, yet I didn't. I was willing to do anything to keep Niall alive, if it meant telling the fans, then it meant telling the fans. However, I gave him an understanding look, and he nodded, and gave me a hug. It was still great like a normal hug, but I cherished this particular hug more than the others.

Because it may be one of the last hugs I ever receive from Niall.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I called Makayla to tell her that the others should drive up and come see Niall. We needed ideas on how to find donors.

After two hours of talking with Niall, the others showed up and conversed with Niall for a bit. Then Niall had to get some rest. That was our cue to leave and discuss donors.

"Do you guys know ANYONE with Niall's blood type?" I demanded.

Everyone shook their heads, and tears stung in my eyes.

"Nobody? Are you sure?"

"I wish we did but we don't," said Grace.

I sobbed and the girls came to comfort me.

"Maybe we just have to tell the fans. Niall can't suffer any-"

"Wait," whispered Liam. My eyes darted to him.

"Who?!" I exclaimed.

"Me, I have Niall's blood type."