𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 15

Aelys

He stayed silent, his eyes analyzing my face as if he was looking for something. He was intimidating me but I couldn't tear my eyes away from his. Our breathing was back to normal but I was still aroused, craving for him to finally touch me. As much as I hated myself for it, I needed him. I had no idea if what Tom had said was true. Did I see any good in him ? He had been nothing but cruel and rude to me from the beginning. The only time I had seen him being nice was when he had offered my snake her terrarium. Was he even capable of being nice ?

I was snapped out of my thoughts when he took a step toward me. He pushed a strand of hair behind my ear and my lips parted in shock at his sudden softness.

"I truly hate you, Aelys." He spoke softly.

I frowned, not understanding why he was always so mean to me no matter the circumstances. I wanted to ask him. I wanted him to give me an explanation but no words came out of my mouth. He sighed and leaned his forehead against mine, closing his eyes. Mine widened and I froze.

"I hate you for making me feel like this." He started. "I don't want you and yet, I can't bear the thought of another man having you, touching you." His jaw clenched and I saw his body tensing.

I stayed silent for a minute before gathering the courage to speak too.

"I hate you too." I whispered. "You've been treating me like shit since the moment you saw me and I don't know why." I shook my head as I closed my eyes. "I get that you don't want that marriage. But I don't understand why you must put the blame on me. You're acting as if I am the one that's ruining your life and I hate it. I don't want you either but I don't have a choice. The only one who could convince the Dark Lord to cancel it is you, Mattheo. I have no voice in this but you do. Do you know why ? Because I am a woman. Women don't get to speak against orders given by men. We get killed if we do."

I pulled back, my eyes opening to find him already staring intensely at me. I took a step back while running a hand through my hair. I wasn't aroused anymore. I was sad and terrified. I was not only agreeing to that marriage to please both my Father and the Dark Lord but because I would get killed if I were to disagree. I've always known it but I had never admitted it before. Not even to myself. That was scaring me. I felt my chest tightening and my breathing became ragged, uneven. I couldn't breathe anymore. I brought my fist to my chest as my other hand went to my head. I pulled at my hair as I tried to breathe but to no avail. I couldn't.

"Aelys ?"

His voice was soft and he sounded concerned. Yet I knew he wasn't. He didn't give two shits about me. My vision blurred and I felt hot tears running down my cheeks. My legs shook and I let myself fall to the ground, still trying hard to bring the air back into my lungs.