premiere||e.m

07/2023, age 18

Theadora never mentioned her parents—ever. it was an unspoken rule of hers. and, upon quickly picking up that it was a sore subject, her friends and co-workers never asked.

thanks to the great state of california, Thea was able to apply for and be granted emancipation as soon as she turned fourteen years of age. she's been on her own since; auditioning for any and every role that pops up, doing everything she can to continue to provide for herself.

none of her co-stars, both past and present, have ever met the girls parents. of course they wanted to ask, but felt it wasn't their place. they all deemed Thea very independent, and assumed her parents were just allowing the young teen to express this independence, rather than the truth: they were incompetent, neglectful bastards.

while Theadora did enjoy her freedom, there were a few things that being without a parent or guardian made difficult.

for example: getting a drivers license.

She was able to get her drivers permit just fine, but in order to drive with her permit to practice for her drivers lisence, the teen needed to drive with an adult twenty one years or older whom had their own lisence. most teenagers were able to just drive with their parents, but obviously, theadora was not like most teenagers.

luckily, thea's job introduced her to many adults that quickly became friends. while filming a series for netflix titled "outer banks", the then 16 year old was able to practice driving with her permit with one of her older co-stars, madelyn cline. of course, thea did not mention why her parents haven't been driving with her themselves.

thanks to maddie, thea was able to get her drivers lisence.

however, having moved out of her parents house at just thirteen years old to couch hop before living in her own apartment at fourteen, thea was forced to grow up alone. she had to teach herself how to cook, how to take care of herself, help herself with her own homework, navigated her first relationship (and kiss) all on her own. and for the most part, she managed.

for the most part.

Theadora was ecstatic

Theadora was ecstatic. after a slight lull in job opportunities, she had booked a role as a young teen in one of the most anticipated films of 2023: barbie.

while filming the movie was a dream come true in and of itself, thea was rather anxious for its premiere.

margot robbie, one of theas costars for the film, having worked with the teen before, had noticed that her parents had never accompanied the girl
to any of her premieres or events. of course, the older actress would have offered the teen to stay with her the night of the event so they could arrive together (such as she did during their last movie together, birds of prey). however, this time around margot's mum had flown out to visit and attend the premiere with her. not wanting theadora to have to attend the event alone, she reached out to another barbie costar—emma mackey—to see if the teen could tag along with her.

thea was extremely unhappy with this arrangement.

"i'm fine, emma." theadora spoke through the phone. "i've gone to premieres alone before."

"right, but never any as big as this one. let's just go together, it'd be fun, trust me." the voice on the other end of the line responded.

it's not that thea didn't want to go with emma—she absolutely adored the older girl—she just hated pity. having been on her own for so long, thea found it difficult to ask for and accept help, no matter how big or small the gesture (or how much she needed it).

"i'm okay—" theadora was quickly cut off.

"you're coming with me, yeah? spend the night before and we'll go together. see you then!" emma hung up the phone.

exasperated, theadora sighed, slamming her phone down onto her apartments ratty old sofa beside her.