XLIV

A Price I Must Pay

Afianna's POV

Dusk came.

All I can see on top of Headmaster Pherso's building is the result of a disaster, a war.

Burned and toasted trees, debris of buildings all over the place, ruined gardens, and unrecognizeble barren lands that was once a lush forest.

The only thing that I can say right now that remains beautiful and not painful to look at is the dark orange sky with cotton clouds that seems to comfort us to get out of grief.

It was too much.

We lost too much.

I am engulfed in my own world thinking of possibilities what might happen from now on as well as what to do in order to bring things back into its original places.

Things have been so chaotic and horribly dreadful and most definitely, draining and exhausting.

I heaved a loud sigh.

Later at dawn, things would be different.

I have to correct and set things in order alone.
Bring back Orium, alone.
Save this dimension, alone.

I have to because I absolutely cannot risk it.

"Afi..." A soft voice of Vanilla can be heard behind me. "Why?"

I can hear confusion in her voice.

"Why are you trying to solve things alone? This academy is our home too. Gem is our friend too. So I cannot understand and stand the idea of you going alone in that unknown battlefield fighting who knows how many enemies you are going to face."

Her voice is shaking and probably tears are falling out of her eyes but still, I did not look at her. I remained silent and stare at the horizon.

"Afi naman." Her voice turns into a sob.

After a moment, she clears her throat.

"You know that you are not alone in this fight. But what can you do when we are going to go there without your knowledge? Do you think you can stop us?" Her tone of speaking became firm, certain, and confident. "Whether you like it or not, you cannot stop us from going out there to fight, Afi. And that's final."

Moments later, all I can hear is her receding footsteps.

Is it so hard to accept that I am going alone to fight? Can't they just accept it and let me go alone? I am fighting for them. I am trying to save them.

But no words can justify my sentiment as of the moment, because I know how they feel too.

I know.

Unknowingly, a lone warm tear fell off out of my eyes.

'Why do you have to choose me, Andromeda?' I thought and hoped that it will be conveyed clearly to Andromeda.

It's exhausting, draining, and it's making my mind think too much.

Tamad ako ehh.

'Alam mo yun diba?'

She clearly knows how I abhor being responsible, how I can't handle things that's too great for me to do alone.

But I cannot blame her. It is I who accepted this abilities. I was tempted by the offer and now, it's asking for the price.

"Ms. Glae." It's a calm and collected tone of voice. But I recognized it immediately. The mother of Orium, Queen Genova.