Part 13

After lunch everyone began training as usual, I was running back and forth on the field doing some sort of stamina test the coaches has assigned me when I noticed Alex up on the second floor walkway of the training building. She was watching me and I took note of the knee brace she had on. I was finally allowed to have a break and I sat down on the floor, tearing open a sachet of electrolytes with my teeth. I looked up again and she was still there, looking over the entire field.

I leaned back on my hands as I examined her a little. She had a bit of a tan and her hair looked a tiny bit lighter in colour. Her eyes still the piercing shade of blue as before I thought as I looked at her from afar, and then suddenly I felt her eyes staring right back at mine. She gave me a small smile and I couldn't help but return it. I got up off the floor, wiping the sweat off my forehead as she headed back inside. "You know, I heard her and Servando broke up", Kelley's voice interrupted my thoughts as I jumped back a little.

"Why would I care about that?", I questioned quietly as I looked down at my feet a little.

"Y/N look at me...look at me. I know you care about that. I know you care about her. I'm your best friend, you couldn't hide this shit from me no matter how hard you try".

I turned to her in a huff, "Kelley you've spent the last 3 months pushing me to get with Dahlkemper and now you're shoving me towards Morgan?", I asked her as we started walking around the field.

"I just want whatever will make you the happiest Y/N. You look at Abby with some sort of adoration in your eyes, really. But the way you look at Alex is on a whole other level. You look at her as if she's the last girl on earth and I know you try to mask it by pretending you hate her and you don't get along but I see through it. I think I've somewhat known since that first day in England when you gave her your ja-".

"Fucking hell shut it Kells", I laughed, cutting her off. 

"I'm like 100% serious Y/N".

"Me and Alex Morgan will never get along, let alone be a fucking couple. Okay I hate like everything about her, her voice, the way she chews loudly only in MY ear, the way she swings her hair a bit when she runs, her...fucking long legs and eyes and-", I rambled on and on.

"You do realise you're literally listing the reasons you're in love with her", Kelley snorted as I tackled her to the floor.

We ended up laughing as we laid down on the field and stared up at the sky. "Fuck you O'Hara, and fuck Morgan too", I joked.

"Yeah I'm sure you'd like that", she quickly responded as her eyes widened noticing what she said. 

"YOUR ASS IS GRASS O'HARA GET BACK HERE", I screamed at her as she got up and scrambled away, making me chase her down.

Everyone was sat down having dinner the same evening when Kelley leaned over to me and whispered, "I got a sneak peak of the room arrangements", with a smirk. 

"Why are you smiling at me like that? Don't tell me I'm paired with Morgan", I warned her, narrowing my eyes.

"What no, you're with me obviously". 

"Then why are you smirking? Tell me what you know O'Hara".

She made a gesture of zipping her mouth and I continued pestering her for details through the meal but she just shook her head every time with a wry smile. I guess I'd just have to wait till Jill called them out herself in about five minutes.

"Rapinoe and Sonnet. Horan and Fox. Dunn and Dahlkemper. O'Hara and Y/L/N. Smith and Rodman. And finally Morgan and Solo", she concluded, making everyone whip their heads in her direction.

"Solo? Hope's back?", everyone asked, confused. 

"Just as a coach", Hope announced as she walked through the door on the other side. As we all ran to hug her I began to understand why Kelley was so happy, she had the biggest crush on Hope for years and was so upset when Hope was suspended and removed from the team a year or so ago.

Alex couldn't exactly run and just stood up in her seat, Hope walked over to hug her, explaining to the rest of us that she was going to help Alex with her injury rehab and that's why she didn't mind rooming with her.

The next few days went relatively normal like a normal US camp as we were preparing for a couple of games against Spain and Canada. The only notable moment that stuck with me was my talk with Abby. She pulled me to the side after a training session and as we walked around the field and told me how she was seeing someone new, it stung a little I guess but also not really, I didn't mind and I knew there wasn't much between us and that she would be better off with someone else. 

We were in our final training session the day before we faced Spain. After some one two passing I did some extra practice attacking down the flank as I practiced getting my crosses into the box. On what would become my last attempt my foot landed on the grass incorrectly as my studs got stuck for a split second.

I instantly sunk to the ground, clutching my ankle in agony. A few team mates and coaches ran towards me as fast as they could and after some questions they propped me up and helped me off the field to go and see the medic where I spent the next few hours getting scans and treatment. I didn't even want to get the results, I could tell from how it felt that I would be out for the next two fixtures at a minimum.

"You rolled it your ankle but luckily nothing seems to have torn", the doctor announced to me as soon as the results came in. I groaned as she held up a pair of crutches and a protective ankle brace. "You know you can't put any weight on it, its either this or a wheel chair", she joked.

I sighed as she let me go, it was strange using the crutches but eventually I hobbled back to my room with Kelley's help as I elevated my leg like instructed and fell asleep almost instantly, intentionally skipping the evening meal as the injury put me in a bad mood.