Part 18

Y/N's POV:

The dreaded time had come. I had to leave the comfort of my room. I groaned as Kelley dragged me out by my arm after I reluctantly took a shower and changed into some uswnt gear. We went downstairs and sat down at a table to eat some pasta. 

Alex was walking by our table with her avocado toast in hand, and no brain Kelley was quick to crack a joke. "Don't bring that anywhere near Y/N", she joked and made retching sounds, and then quietened as she felt the awkward air between us. Alex and I both forced a smile to make Kelley feel better then she walked away to sit with some other team mates. I gave Kelley a pat on the back and she noticed me trying to hide a smile, "You're so dumb", I muttered, making her shove me.

I stayed seated and scrolled through my phone for about ten minutes whilst Kelley and everyone else had gone to the dressing room to change into their kits and eventually I got up to go and join them. I'm such a team player I thought to myself as I began to think about how I could've had a much more relaxing time on a beach in the Bahamas instead of sticking around after my injury to support my team. 

My thoughts were interrupted when I nearly bumped into Alex in the hallway. I held onto her wrist for a second before she could leave. "Uhh we need to talk", I told her quietly. She nodded softly and I let go of her wrist, as I made my way through to join my team mates.

"Hey Dawn will you pass me a coat?", I called out to our assistant coach.

"Is the bench really that cold?", a few of my team mates joked as I flipped them off. "Here I could only find one", she walked towards me. I instantly spotted Alex's number 13 printed on the front, making me groan. "It's okay, I'll bear the cold", I told her as she laughed and shrugged.

"Here you go", Abby threw her own USA crested coat at me with a gentle smile. For a second I thought against wearing it, as I looked to Kelley, my eyes pleading for guidance. She just shrugged at me in response, 'it's just a coat', she mouthed back at me. 

I agreed and pulled it on over my USA sweats and t shirt, thanking Abby in the process. The warmups and walkout passed by in a flash and before I knew it I was walking out to head to the bench. Once again, the only empty seat for me to take was on the end next to Alex. I guess the talk was coming sooner than expected.

It was about ten minutes into the game when we finally began talking.

"...I just can't do this anymore Y/N. This back and forth isn't healthy for either of us", Alex began.

My heart stopped for a second. What? I hadn't expected it to go down this road but I wasn't going to let her know that. "Uhh yeah", I nodded.

"I mean...I just need some time to myself I think after what happened with Servando. And I mean you'll have Abby I guess...I heard she's moving to England".

"Alex stop I'm telling you she's just a fri-"

"You're in her fucking coat Y/N what am I supposed to think?", she cut me off, getting agitated like this morning, as she eyed Abby's number 17 printed on the front of the coat I was wearing.

"It's just a fucking coat Alex, it's just a number".

We hissed back and forth quietly for a few more minutes until I noticed a TV camera pointing in our direction. "Just fucking drop it Morgan, let's not cause a scene on live fucking television", I huffed as she quietened. 

I was glad to hear the half time whistle a minute or so later, but before I could get up and head inside the same blonde tv presenter from a few days ago called me over for an interview. I couldn't exactly decline so I walked over with a polite smile, leaving behind an irritated Morgan, who huffed at the interaction and stalked back inside with the team.

Our team ended up winning and we all eventually went back inside where Jill congratulated everyone on the win. I let it be known that I had a headache and was skipping dinner as a few of my team mates patted me on the back with sympathetic smiles. I returned to my room at the earliest opportunity and packed my belongings back into my suitcase before quickly getting back into bed. 

I was so desperate for this camp to be over. Some part of me inside was stinging slightly after the whole interaction with Alex as I thought through our interactions again and again until I ended up falling asleep. Kelley disturbed me an hour later with a plate of food but I wasn't hungry, I thanked her for the effort but politely declined, making her sigh as she sympathetically stroked my hair for a few minutes. It was clear to her that my talk with Alex had not gone as expected, and that I probably wouldn't want to talk about it today, so she allowed me to drift back to sleep. 

I pulled my hood on as I stepped up and onto the team coach, we were finally heading to the airport. I was so ready to get out of here. Kelley and I sat near the back, and although she wasn't pushing for it I could tell she wanted to know how the conversation with Alex went so I quietly talked her through it.

"...I just thought we could've had something...I don't know. If she doesn't want to try then neither will I. It probably wouldn't have worked anyway right? I mean I play on another continent, are we meant to have a relationship for one week every couple of months when we return to camp?", I continued rambling as thoughts ran through my head.

Kelley stopped me with an amused look in her eyes. "Y/N stop overthinking it, it's a shame it didn't work out...I really thought you guys had something too. Forget about that shit now, I don't want you to get all moody on me again", she joked as she handed me an earphone. I sighed but took it and we listened to music together without another word about the blue eyed striker for the rest of the journey.

All the team mates began hugging once we got inside the airport as everyone would slowly start to go their separate ways. Alex and I managed to strategically avoid each other, I glanced at her for a split second when I was hugging Abby, but she wasn't frowning or rolling her eyes, she just looked blank. After a blur of high fives and hugging I eventually found myself on my flight back to England, making me sigh in relief.