Part 22

Y/N's POV:

Kelley and I were walking onto the training field, the familiar clicking sound of our studs against the ground finally dampened once we stepped onto the grass. "You're whipped Y/N, problem is I can't tell who it is causing it", she laughed as I tried to push her over. "No but seriously, are you sticking it out with Abby or...", she sobered.

"I don't fucking know Kelley", I told her honestly, feeling like there was a weight tied to my ankles dragging me down further and further. 

"Onto other news, I heard you're not resigning...what's going on there then?", she asked excitedly, thinking I was coming back to play in the American NWSL.

"Well...I love my club but I think it's time for a fresh setting. I've gotten contracts from a few English rivals, Barcelona, OL, Real Madrid, that's all I think".

"That's all? What about the NWSL? I mean maybe you could join me in New York and we could both play for Gotham?"

"Kelley..."

"You could atleast pretend to give it a thought Y/N, I mean really would it be so bad", she huffed before she began her warmup. Great. Fucking everyone was getting on my nerves and I guess I was getting on theirs.

I was annoyed throughout the entire 3 hour training session, and the intense heat was not helping either. I grabbed a cool water bottle and chugged it as I made my way inside alone to head for some recovery.

"Hey Joan", I greeted her with a quick hug over the bed which I laid down on with a huff. 

"What's going on then? Cmon fill me in", she asked as she began prodding at my legs with some kind of ointment. "How are you and Morgan? You know with the long distance?"

"What? Why does everyone think we're together? I'm with Abby".

"Wait really? Dahlkemper?"

"Yes", I huffed. It seems there was no respite wherever I went.

"I'm sorry Y/N. It's just...I don't know...there's something about you and Morgan. And I'm not just talking about the time I found you both cuddling on my treatment bed", she smiled.

I tried to bite back a smile as I thought about that time, Joan was quick to notice and teased me about it as I blushed. "Stop it Joan", I laughed. "You know as a responsible adult you shouldn't be condoning my behaviour. I feel grimy, as if I'm cheating on Abby when I think about Alex".

"I think you know what you need to do Y/N. Don't lead one girl on if you're pining after the other". I was about to disagree with the pining part but stopped myself in the end because I knew deep down she was right. I was falling for Alex Morgan. It was something I simply had to accept. And I couldn't hurt Abby in the process, it was too cruel. 

"You're right Joan, I think I'm going to end things with Abby", I told her with a sigh.

"Do it after the camp Y/N. Otherwise there will be all kinds of friction and tension for these 3 qualifier games and we really don't need that energy right now". I nodded in agreeance. This was it, I was going to break up with my girlfriend, if I could even call her that?

I felt slightly calmer and lighter after my session with Joan and I was now headed to have some lunch. Things felt like they were falling apart around me, but I couldn't just let them. I had to start fixing things and it started with my best friend.

"Hey..", I sat down at the table my best friend was occupying. "What's up", she said without much enthusiasm. "Kelley, look I'm not completely moving out a move back to the US, there's ongoing talks I don't really want to get into just in case they don't materialise-"