Part 14

Y/N's POV:

I sighed, finally getting up out of bed after realising I couldn't spend much longer in the room without going absolutely crazy. Kelley had left hours ago for training as I turned over to check the time, it was 11:30am. The game was scheduled to kick off at 5pm so I had just under 6 hours to spend doing anything that didn't involve kicking a ball.

I reached over to grab my crutches as I went to go take a shower. I changed into some shorts for the sake of physical therapy later and pulled on a training top anyway even if I wasn't allowed to step onto the field.

I went downstairs and hobbled to the treatment room. I saw Alex in there as I walked in, it was definitely too late to leave. She was sat on one of the treatment beds with her legs outstretched as she scrolled on her phone. Our eyes connected for a few seconds, until the medic instructed me to sit down on the bed next to hers.

I swung my legs onto the bed with a sigh and leaned back as the treatment on my ankle began. I pulled out my phone, anything that would distract me from the urge to turn my head in Alex's direction and just stare at her would be very welcome right now. 

I answered a few messages when a new one popped up. 'Morgan' the contact name read. I nervously pressed on it, glancing at Alex from the corner of my eye.

'You haven't eaten have you Y/L/N?', the text read.

'Why do you care Morgan?'

I heard her sigh over in the bed next to me as her fingers worked again. 'You can't be skipping meals Y/N you know this'.

I didn't need some sort of lecture from her. I put my phone down with a huff and leaned my head back and put my arm over my eyes.

I fell into a light sleep for about ten minutes, only waking up wincing when I felt pain in my foot. The other foot. I took my arm away and looked up confused, it wasn't the medic. Alex stood at the end of my bed with a humorous glint in her eyes and I knew immediately it was her pinching my foot to wake me up.

She pushed my legs over gently to make space for herself as she wordlessly sat down on the edge of my bed and looked at me for a few seconds.

"She said she would be back in about half an hour to put your ankle brace back on", she told me softly, making me nod. I hated the awkwardness between us. A part of me just wanted to hold her in bed again, and wake up with my face buried in her hair or her face buried in my neck as I wrapped my arms around her tightly.

She reached over to her side quickly and grabbed an orange. I knew where she was going with this. I watched her as she slowly began to peel it, her delicate fingers getting all the bitter white parts off, the way her nose scrunched a little bit as she was focusing. 

She turned to face me once she was done, as she broke a piece off and held it up to my mouth. I knew it would annoy her so I just shook my head. "Y/N..", she warned. "Its either this or a banana", she told me with a smirk.

"Fine", I dramatically huffed, cracking a smile. I eventually let her feed me the entire orange, and she sat back, smiling in victory. "My turn to feed you the banana", I joked with a smirk. 

"Shut up", she shoved me in the side as she tried to hide her smile. I was barely thinking as I opened up my arms and called out to her, she came closer without a second thought as she lied down next to me and I wrapped my arms around her, head resting on my chest.

"How long do we have?", I asked her quietly.

"Just under twenty minutes before Joans back to help with your brace", she replied. 

"...so you and him broke up I heard?", she held onto me tighter.

"...yeah it was the obvious decision after what he did".

"Why did you get back together with him at first?", I tried to ask as softly as I could.

"I don't know...it just felt the easier decision in the moment instead of brushing him off with the cameras on us, and my Mom was pushing for it so i just went along...as soon as we flew back to the US things fell apart and I didn't want to drag it out so I ended it", she confessed, breathing out happily once she was done.

I stroked her soft hair for a while, and was so focused on matching my breathing patterns with hers that I didn't even heard the voices approaching outside the door, and neither did she apparently.

Kelley and Joan the medic suddenly burst into the room. "I don't need a concussion test I'm telling you Joa- hi guys", Kelley greeted us with a smirk as we quickly separated. Joan just laughed in the background, "I knew you guys would reconcile once I left. I tried to give you some time but this one hurt her head in training", she told us, gesturing to Kelley.

I was flushed and a little embarrassed to be caught like that, I looked at Alex and she was the same, as she tried and failed to hide her small smile as she looked at me from her own bed now. 

Joan put my ankle brace on and let us both leave eventually. We walked along the corridor together, her with an knee brace on and me with my ankle brace and crutches. "Cmon let's have a proper lunch this time, no avocado this time I promise", we both laughed. 

We filled our plates and sat down in the canteen, making small talk. Our team mates soon began to pile in after their training session had ended. They smiled at us from afar but didn't interrupt in anyway. They were just happy to see us talking even, as the last time most of them had seen us near each other was when I had her boyfriend's blood on my knuckles.