Chapter 9

[Y/N]

No one fights alone.
Literally and figuratively.
The words ring through my head as I wake up with a slight headache.
I grunt as I stir in my bed. No one fights alone? yeah right, that's what i have been doing for these past two years. I doubt Soap or anyone else can help me deal with the grief and PTSD. But maybe Ghost was right, and am I not the only one fighting.

I rub my eyes. God, I feel like shit. 
Yesterday feels like a blur, maybe even a bad dream. Must be the stress, oh and the alcohol i suppose.
Still would love to take my frustration out on the soldier who called me a bitch.

A soft knock on my door snaps me out of my thoughts.
‘“Who is it?’’
No response.
I grunt as I jump out of my bed. The quick movement makes me feel a bit dizzy. I stumble towards the door. Yeah definitely not just stress, this is a hangover.
‘’Soap, i actually wanted to ap-..’’ I swallow my words as I open the door.
To my surprise it's Ghost staring back at me.
His solid powerful stance only shows more of his muscular body. It's intimidating, impermeable. He is so tall I have to tilt my head to meet his gaze. Which i immediately regret doing when I see his deep, angry, frown.

‘’Oh lieutenant.. i thought..’’ I mumble disappointed and now also a bit nervous as to why he looks pissed off already.
‘’Price wants to see you.’’ He says cutting my off harshly.
I feel my head spinning, as my heart beats faster.
 He wants to see me? Is he going to scold me for yesterday's incident? Or did Ghost tell him about my PTSD?

‘’What..now..did he..?’’
‘’Now.’’ Ghost growls interrupting me.
he seems more pissed off than usual. Furious even.
Is it because of yesterday? Is he furious at me?
I decide not to ask more questions as I follow him down the hallway to Price's office.
I feel a knot in my stomach as Ghost opens the door, letting me walk in first.

Price sits behind his desk. The small fluorescent bar above his desk flickering a bit.
It smells like cigars and coffee in here, which I sure didn't notice the first time.
‘’Ah, Miss Y/N. Thank you for coming here at such short notice.’’
He gestures for me to sit down at the other side of the desk.
As I sit , Ghost keeps standing in front of the now closed door. Like he is guarding it. 
His body is still in a strong position. His legs slightly apart, his broad arms crossed over his chest.
‘’Are you enjoying the team so far?’’ Price asks me as he rests his elbows on his desks, supporting his head with his folded hands.
‘’Ah yes, naturally Sir’’ I say, chuckling awkwardly.
I'm glad Ghost stands behind me, so i don't have to face him.

‘’Good’’ Price answers with an approving nod.
‘’That brings me to why you're here..’’
He takes a few documents from the stack on his desk.
‘’Your first mission in our team.’’

My eyes jolt up as I feel the excitement through my body.
Yes! Finally, After all this time I have won the trust of the Captain to send me on a mission.
‘’Thank you Sir, Im confident this solo-..’’
‘’It isn't solo.’’ Ghost growls behind me, cutting me off. I finally turn around to face him.
‘’You already know what it is?’’ I ask confused, and a bit annoyed he interrupted me.
His face turns even more angry as he grits his teeth.
Price clears his throat.
‘’Actually, this is a co-op mission’’ He slowly pushes the documents towards me.
I scan the documents as I see a big mansion. Ball gowns, suits, rich people. 
All way too luxurious for my taste.
‘’You will attend the masquerade ball with Lieutenant Ghost’’ Price says.
A.. A what now!?
‘’Together? but..’’ I stammer a bit as I trail off.
 Ah, now it makes sense why Ghost has been staring daggers at me all morning.

‘’I still think this is the wrong way to go Sir’’ Ghost growls, interrupting me, as he walks towards the desk.
‘’This would be a way easier mission, If i was send alone’’ He looks at me as he empathizes the words. His eyes narrowing in anger and frustration.