Chapter 9

When Shen Yuying came through, she's already in a foreign place. She woke up with a headache, and sprawled on the floor.

  She looked around, seeing white painted walls, she was confused for awhile.

"I seem to be in the living room."

  It was then that she saw blood on the floor, her head is bleeding and swollen.

  "What happened to this body?"

  She slowly stood up, but her body swayed side to side, she felt dizzy.

   Suddenly, memories that does not belong to her came rushing in her mind, just like a fast showing movie. She relaxed her mind, and accepted all the memories of the original owner.

   The original owner was also named Shen Yuying, she's the only child of her parents Shen Jianjun and Qin Xiuying.

   Qin Xiuying is an orphan of the martyr.  Both her parents are senior researchers, and died to protect the country secrets. Their family is originally from Beijing, but she was sent to another place by her parents leader to protect her.

    Not long after, she got introduced to Shen Jianjun, a soldier. They fell inlove and got married.

   Shen Jianjun was the youngest son of the old Shen couple Shen Guoqiang, and Wang Lihua. He has 3 other siblings, the eldest sister Shen Ming, second sister Shen Mei, and eldest brother Shen Jianguo.

  Shen Jianjun was sent to the army  when he's 15 years old.  Her sisters were married early to buy a job quota for Shen Jianguo.

   When Shen Jianjun went home after many years, his brother is already married and living in the city in his work unit dormitory.  His wife is also a worker, but because of the lack of housing they left their kids in the countryside.

   The next time he returns home, he brought with him Qin Xiuying, and got married in the countryside.  But because Shen Jianjuns rank is not qualified to divide a house in the army, Qin Xiuying stayed in the countryside and helped her in-laws with housework and help take care of big brother's children which by now has become 4.

      They were the Eldest son Shen Yuqiang, eldest sister Shen Yulan, 2nd,  son Shen Yuhang, and 2nd sister Shen Yumei.

   Not long after, Qin Xuiying got pregnant got gave birth to Shen Yuying.  And because she bleeds alot during childbirth her health deteriorated and wasn't able to get pregnant again.

     Her in-laws became dissatisfied with her and always despise her. Despite this Shen Jianjun and Qin Xiuyings feeling remained strong. They both love their daughter very much.

    Until one day they received a news of Shen Jianjun's sacrifice. The mother and daughter was immediately kicked out of the house in the name of separation. They even signed certificates with the village chief and village secretary. And because they have nowhere to go, they stayed in the broken shack. 

    It was just all an excuse, they had wanted to swallow Shen Jianjun's compensation, so they had to separate from the mother and daughter.

  Qin Xiuying immediately asked her parents old leader for help, if he could find her a job in the city. She stayed in the countryside while waiting for the leader's arrangement for her.

   But a month later, Shen Jianjun returned, there's been a misunderstanding, he was in coma and another person (also named Shen Jianjun) died.  He couldn't clarify his identity until he woke up. The compensation money must be returned and be given to the that martyr's family.

   He immediately fixed the documents,  wanting to go home quickly to his family, but to his surprise his wife and daughter was chased out to live in a broken shack.

   Furious, he broke up with his parents, but promised to pay 5 yuan monthly as filial piety.

  He had been discharged from the army because of his injury but because he got merit he was assigned a job in machinery factory in the city.

   Qin Xiuying was also assigned a job in the machinery factory as an accountant, and they were divided a 2 bedroom apartment.

  The parents who had used the compensation money to buy a small 2 bedroom apartment for Shen Jianguo has to return all of it. So they had no choice but to scrape money and even borrow from relatives in order not to make trouble with the army.

   In this way the family has stayed in a tense state, even the younger generation,  they never got along.

    Shen Jianjun and Qin Yuying just lived their lives as they pleased, not minding the relatives. And the original owner as an only child grew up pampered but not spoiled.

  But only after few years, her happiness were cut short. Her life changed so suddenly. 

  Her mother Qin Xiuying died due to poor health, her father became depressed over the loss of his lover and one day got into an accident at work.  He died just a week ago.

  The original owner is just 16 years old, she replaced her mother's job a year ago when Qin Xiuying first got sick. 

   It was a sensitive time, and Shen Yuying had stopped studying after she graduated from Middle School. Most of the schools were ransacked and there were a lot of chaos.

  She was supposed to wait for the school to open again, and continue to study in High School but her mother got sick. They thought it was better for her mother to rest and Shen Yuying to work.

   It was not long after her mother's health deteriorated.  Her mother died after a few months, and her father followed not long after making her an orphan.

    Now, not only she has her own job, but she will also receive her father's work quota and compensation. She now also lived alone in a 2 bedroom apartment of their work unit. These things invited alot of trouble.

    According to the original owner's memory, the reason why she's on the floor is because she had fought with her cousin Shen Yumei.

     It's in the middle of July of 1969, the city is urging the youth to sign up for the "Down to the Countryside Movement ".

    As Shen Yuying is already a worker, she was not one of those to be sent down. But her cousin's family has many  children and 2 of them were told to be an Educated youth.

   Their parents refused, but there's not much they can do. Unless they can find a job for the 2 children, which is very difficult to do.

  So that's when they decided to move their minds to Shen Yuying. She is a young girl, she is alone, she has 2 job quota and also a house.

  If they can get her 2 jobs, they can solve their dilemma, and even solve their housing problem. They have a big family that shared a 2 bedroom apartment in their work unit.

  They listed Shen Yuying's name as a volunteer to go to the countryside just after her father died.  Shen Yuying has no knowledge about it as she was busy with the funeral, she was granted a week off of work and was about to return to her job tomorrow.

   But she suddenly received a notice from the street office, telling her the date and time of departure  and the details of the village she'll be sent to.

    Upon reading the notice, she was briefly confused but understood the cause after a while. Their family was always in conflict with her father's side of family, so she believed they must have done it.

     Furious, she strode off to her Eldest Uncles apartment to ask for explanation. But they vehemently denied, and that it has nothing to do with them. She threatened them that she will sue and immediately went back home.

    Eldest Aunt Shen got scared and ask her daughter Shen Yumei to follow Shen Yuying home and try to talk to her.

   At home Shen Yumei and Shen Yuying got into an argument and when Shen Yuying insisted on reporting she was pushed hard. She hit her head on the corner of the table.

  When Shen Yumei saw the blood, she got scared and immediately fled without looking back.