Chapter 12

It's already past 8 in the evening, she went to the corridor to get the coal stove, it has long cooled down. She can't just leave it outside overnight or you may not find it the next morning.

    After cleaning up, she went to bed. She placed new mattress, pillow and blanket on the bed and retired for the night.

    Shen Yuying woke up feeling refreshed, she hasn't sleep well in a long time. She checked the time and its only 6 in the morning. She quickly got up, and cleaned up.

    After her father's death, the factory gave her a week off of work to deal with the funeral. Today is the day she's supposed to return to work, but that's not what she's goint to do today.

     She went to the bathroom outside to clean herself, and put on clothes.  She ate 2 buns and milk from the space for breakfast. She quickly brushed her teeth, braided her hair one on each side of her head.

   She took out 2 boxes of the simplest looking pastry in the space, brought her lunchbox and went out.

    Her first stop is the machinery factory where she and her father had worked.  She went to look for the director of the factory, which is also her late father's comrade in arms and a good friend.

    Han Guohua is Shen Jianjun's captain when they were still active in the military. He had save his life during a mission, and when Han Guohua learned that Shen Jianjun will be working in this factory,  he took good care of him, and they became good friends although Han Guohua is quite older.

     Knock! Knock! Knock!

"Director Han, it's me Shen Yuying"

  The door opened, A middle aged man with a big stature in his late 40s stood in front of the door.

  "It's you Xiaoying, come in, sit down.  How are you feeling now?" Han Guohua asked with concern.

   "I'm ok Uncle Han"  since they are alone in the room its ok to call him Uncle.

  "You're ok, that's good, very good. By the way,  your father's compensation and job quota has been prepared, you just need to go to the finance department. " explained Han Guohua

   "Thank you Uncle,  I have been busy these days. Thank you for your help regarding my father's matters."
Shen Yuying said with gratitude, she was greatly helped by this Uncle during her father's Funeral.

   "What are you being polite about? Your father and I were like brothers, so you are my neice." Han Guohua said while looking at her with pity, then he continued.

"You poor child, what a tragedy, both your parents were still young, they were gone too early. Fate is cruel to your family." He said while shaking his head.

   "Are you here to report back to work?" He asked.

   "No Uncle, today I came here for a different matter.  I want to ask Uncle for help."

  "What's the matter? Are you in trouble Xiaoying?" Han Guohua asked with corcern. "Just tell Uncle what you need"

   "Im not in trouble Uncle, Im going to the countryside to be an Educated Youth, the group will leave next week. So before that, I need to sell both job quotas and also the unit I'm living now." Shen Yuying explained.

  Han Guohua became confused.

" Why do you want to go to the countryside? The jobs there are very tough, you're a little girl, so it might be harder for you" Han Guohua asking with concern.

   "Uncle Han, both my parents are dead, and I feel sad living alone at home. I need a change of scenery,  I think the countryside will be good for me." Shen Yuying said trying not to worry Han Guohua.

  Shen Yuying thought that it was unnecessary to tell him about being tricked by her cousin.  Once your name is listed, you have to go.  It's not worth it to bother Uncle Han and cause him trouble.

   "Uncle understands, so when are you leaving for the countryside?"

  " It should be Monday next week Uncle Han. I will vacate the house on Monday, but I will have to leave all the furnitures inside." Shen Yuying explained.

   "Okay, it's only Wednesday now, then come to my house on Friday, let's have dinner at my house. I will settle the payments for the house and 2 job quotas. Don't forget to go to the finance department to get your salary and your Father's compensation."

   "Okay Uncle, thank you "

  She was about to leave but was stopped.

   " Xiaoying I almost forgot, your grandparents were here few days ago to check if you have received your Father's compensation.  They wanted to take it but the person in charge in the finance was not familiar with them, and that they were not the beneficiary of that money so they were refused. And when they asked about the job quota, they were chased out."

   "They probably wanted to swallow the money. My parents and them had long been separated." wow they're quite shameless, Shen Yuying thought.

   "You just need to be careful."

   "Then Uncle, I will leave now, I still have to prepare some things these days." Suddenly she remembered something  "By the way Uncle, this is for you"  handing the box of pastry.

   "You child, what are you bringing things here for? Quickly take it back"
  Han Guohua refused.

   "No Uncle, It's my thank you for yours and Aunt's care, and these are not much, just some pastries, you can eat it with the children at home, they will like it."

   "You girl, then I will accept it. And don't forget this Friday, let your Aunt cook dinner for you."

  "Then I'll leave now Uncle, I'll visit you and Aunt this Friday."

  After leaving the office,  Shen Yuying then went to the accounting office,  to say goodbye to her colleagues.  They have been taking care of her since she replaced her mother's job.

   She gave them the other box of pastries and told them to eat it. After a few minutes of talking, they said goodbye and left.

   The last stop in the factory is the finance office to receive her Father's compensation.  After signing some documents,  she received a total of 1,500 yuan of compensation.  In this era,  this is a big amount.

     Shen Jianjun has been working here for a long time, and he has always been good at handling the machine, so he got a good position and higher salary.  Naturally the compensation will be higher.

     After she finished everything she has to do in the factory, she left.