Twenty one

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE ANGELINA
Warmth.
I wake up with it overfilling every inch of my body, blinking slowly as I take in my surroundings, it doesn't take long before I realize the source of it.

And soon it feels as if all that warmth is replaced with dread as I straighten, Rowan hums, before blinking his eyes open, his brows are furrowed as he recalls what happened too.

His expression sobers up moments later as his eyes meet mine in a haze, he rakes a finger through his mess of a hair, "Morning." He says with a raspy smile, I can't help the sudden rush of security that floods my veins.

"Uhm, did you call your father?" It's a stupid question actually, but I'm trying to push past the extreme embarrassment that I feel rushing in my body at the reminder of what I told him.

"No." He says what I already know with an extremely dry tone, I nod, not knowing how to act, "I'll go to the bathroom." I state and stand up, already knowing each and every part of this house since I technically spent most of my childhood here.

Moments later I'm in the said bathroom, placing some toothpaste on my thumb, and brushing it over my teeth, it's such a disgusting thing to do but I genuinely cannot fathom asking him for anything right now before I sort my thoughts and more importantly my feelings out.

After I'm finished with everything I look up in the mirror, brushing my mess of a hair with my fingers, as I try to calm the frizzy wavy strands, my cheekbones are hollowed more than usual, the edges of my features sharpened, telling me that I lost weight.

It'll probably earn me a supportive comment from Sophia, my agent, who's been texting me nonstop this morning, to inform me that there's a show coming up, that I most likely will miss, it'll fuck up my opportunities, but I'm not leaving Rowan, that might as well be the only thing I'm sure of at the moment.

Maybe I should feel some victory from the weight loss, but I don't, I just feel like I'm missing something, maybe I've been missing it for long, maybe I've been missing it ever since I lost my friend, or that he 'lost' me I really don't give a fuck with labels at the moment.

"Are you okay?" I startle at the sudden question and gulp, "Yes." I reply, Rowan is right behind the door, informing me that I've been in my thoughts for too fucking long, "Yes I'm fine." I force out again. To make it convincing.

I wash my hands and get out of the bathroom to find him holding out a toothbrush for me, I smile, "Thanks." I take it from him before placing it inside, I'll use that later, since I'm staying here for a long week apparently.

"Angelina, Is something wrong?" He asks again, I stare up at him, blinking a couple of times, his father is in the hospital, and the last conversation we had was one where I yelled at him so I don't entirely have the fucking right to be the one who's sad.

"No." I lie smoothly, but it doesn't convince him, his jaw ticks, telling me that he's gritting his teeth as his eyes squint ever so slightly, "Whatever you say." He lets out, his words ragged with harsh edges.

My phone rings in my pocket. Breaking apart our words as I grab it, the same name flashes across the screen and terror fills my bones at the reminder, Nicholas fills my sight, and dread continues rushing through my veins as memories float inside my mind.

Just when Rowan is about to get suspicious, I decline, ignoring my racing heartbeats at seeing my Ex's name on the phone, it's the fact that he's not just a fucking normal guy, we have a long complicated toxic history together.