Thirty eight

CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT ANGELINA
"What? No." I dismiss instantly as Rowan speaks, he sighs exaggeratedly, ruffling his hair anxiously, "You hate them, Angelina, I won't force you to be there." He insists.

He's going to visit his parents in New York, and he's telling me to stay here, like fuck I will, I'm not leaving him face whatever hurricane is about to be thrown in his face alone.

"You're not forcing me, I'm coming with you willingly, I want to." I almost scream so that he hears what I'm saying, let it settle in in his fucked up head, his eyes soften, glistening with a rare spark.

"Okay," he sighs in defeat and i sigh with relief, but I don't take my eyes off him, concerned and suspicious at the same time, he's been on the phone with his parents for almost a whole hour.

He didn't seem pissed or sad, but something is definitely off, and he most likely won't tell me, so I just try to solve the mystery myself as I continue searching his features for any clue.

"What time is the flight?" I ask instead. Not wanting to push on the topic right now, he seems relieved about it as he scrolls through his phone, "9 sharp, Tonight." He offers lightly and I nod.

We still have loads of time to sort this out, but the only thing on my mind is finding out what's up with Rowan's mood shift.

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

Sure enough, Rowan didn't lie when he said that I hate his parents, the emotions toward them come rushing to me at an incredibly fast pace the moment my eyes clash with his mother's, who smiles softly as if she isn't the reason behind most of her son's problems.

His Trauma.

"Hello, dear, it's nice to have you here." She speaks formally, as if she already expected me coming here.

I still don't know how Rowan doesn't completely despise them.

It's impossible to feel anything toward them other than hatred or plain malice, "Thanks." I force a tight smile which I'm sure looks fake, almost the goal.

Rowan's fingers tighten around my waist, digging in my flesh, telling me that he's nervous, I lean into him softly as we step inside, I can feel his uneven breaths landing on my nape before we both sit down.

Rowan's father slowly makes his appearance, his physique is strong for someone his age, peppered hair that's styled to perfection, wrinkled skin, but still, he carries a sharp charismatic aura around him, it's infuriating since most people coward away due to his presence.

I raise my chin higher as I glare at him, I try to stop but i miserably fail which only widens his smug smile as he approaches us, straightening his pants before sitting across of us.

Pulling his wife to him in a loving motion as if they aren't internally planning each other's murder, "So, we're here to discuss something important." Rowan starts, my brows slightly furrow as he didn't tell me anything about the said topic.

Maybe that's the reason behind his odd behavior today, but why?

I stay quiet though, absorbing his words as he tries to form them correctly, I can see it in the way his nails are digging in the couch, the way his eyes are flitting erratically around us, and the way his throat gulps every now and then.

He doesn't normally feel that nervous around them, not at all actually, the past couple of years are enough to prove that he gained back his strength and doesn't cower down to them.

But he's different right now.

"Well, yes." His mother interrupts and he curses under his breath only for me to hear, as if her interruption made it harder to continue, i inch closer to him, my hand snakes around his and i interlock our fingers together.