Twenty nine

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE ROWAN
I've arrived in New York at exactly three sharp, so currently I've been roaming down the streets for absolutely no reason.

Running away from what I'm about to face maybe, as much as I'd like to deny it, but I need to be here, to find the fucking truth about what was happening when I was away years ago.

Letters, she said she sent me fucking letters, I heard nothing about those, i embrace myself with a harsh breath and my finger hovers over my mother's name.

She answers on the second ring, "Rowan, honey?" she asks as if she didn't see whose name flashed across her screen, "Are you in the house?" I get to the point.

"Yes, are you here?" She asks, despair in her voice, I rub my thumb across my jaw "Yes, I'm on my way, we'll need to discuss something." I start, preparing her for what's coming, "Okay, I'll be waiting for you." She says softly.

We end the call moments later and I'm left with racing thoughts and a wounded heart, but at the same time I know that I'm doing this for the best, I'm coming back to Angelina, whether she believes it or not.

But I'm also here for both her and I, even if she doesn't understand that for now, I need to understand every single thing that went on behind my back years ago.

I know about the calls. But I don't know how many they are, for some reason the said missed calls are deleted from the call history, the only calls I found were two, and then nothing.

Three texts checking up on me, that's it, no letters or flying back to me, to my family house, my mother hid that away, with her twisted secrets, and tonight I'm finding the answer.

So then I'll be able to at least fix that for now, before I work on my own issues, like the fact that I can't speak about what happened without fucking freezing, or feeling like I'm on the verge of death.

To achieve that, seeing the therapist is recommended unfortunately, so apparently, Serena will stick with me for a bit now.

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

The door opens, revealing a short petite woman. My mother's blonde hair is pulled up in a high ponytail, enhancing her sharp features more as her face is lifted, she doesn't look older than 30 if we're being honest, but other than the outer beauty, she had nothing.

Even if In front of everyone she seemed like the best mother ever, before I can protest i find her throwing her arms around me, my breath seems to catch in my lungs when I smell her perfume.

The scent, too familiar.

Taking me back to moments I'm trying to overcome.

Fuck, I feel my muscles tightening to the point of pain as I pull away from her, chest heaving, "Where did you get this perfume?" I snarl, my anger and fright clear.

Her brows furrow, before she rolls her eyes, "It's too much, right?" She shrugs, i sidestep her and stroll inside, ignoring the way that smell is currently shoved deep inside my bones.

"We need to talk." I start, not interested in the bond she's trying to form, sudden worry flashes across her face but it vanishes instantly, "Okay." She lets out softly and we both sit on the couch.

"When I...left in high school." I'm unable to directly speak about the topic, it feels like a lump is forming at the middle of my throat, shutting off all my words, choking me alive.

Her expression dims, sudden anger filling her features but all she offers me is a nod, "Angelina." Her name rings in the air as I observe my mother's reactions.

Her eyes keep flirting everywhere but on mine telling me that she knows where I'm going with this, "She came here?" I start with this first, she shakes her head, then smiles "As much as I'd like to say so, but no, she didn't exactly—care, Rowan, I'm sorry, baby that's what I always told you." I fight the urge to laugh at her words.

"No, mother, let me rephrase my sentence." I lean forward, elbows on my knees as I stare or more specifically—glare at my lying mother, "I know that she came here." I state, not bothering to hide my frustration.

She shakes her head again, gulping hard, "She didn't." I don't understand why she's insisting on the goddamn lie, it's making my concern worse, "Fucking Christ, Why are you hiding this? What are you hiding? And why?" I add in one go.

My voice rising, she startles in her seat, I don't even feel bad for her, a lot would call me a bad kid, an awful cold hearted son, the truth is far from that, I grew up throwing all my love to them.

To the point where I had none left for me, all the love I had in me I offered to my parents. The ones who I'd go too far to make proud of me, did that ever happen? No, it's always that I'm not enough, didn't do enough, their words still ring in my mind till this day.

But even through all of that, I couldn't love them any less, until what happened, that changed it all, their reactions, their actions, it was fucking heartbreaking, along with losing Angelina, let's say that this was the worst year of my life.

Or years.

"What did she tell you? She's tricking you, Rowan, I always told you that." My mother is such a hypocritical woman, if you saw the way she treats Angelina you'd say that she's her daughter not someone she despises that much.

"You have your limits talking about her." I grit out, her lips part in utter surprise, then she swallows and stares at me with betrayal, huh, funny, "You're choosing her over us?" She asks.

"Always." I don't hesitate, "You've always been chasing over this girl, always on her heels, she doesn't like you, Rowan." She insists, my lips twist in disgust, "I couldn't care less about what you have to say, mother, that's not what I'm here for in the first place." I protest, angry at how this is taking a turn.

"Why are you here then?" She asks as if I didn't get to the point moments ago, "I'm here for the truth, Why are you hiding that Angelina came? Why did you not tell me about all the calls and texts she left me? Why did you leave out the fact that she sent me fucking letters?" My voice rises further, malice clear in it.

She frantically scratches the back of her neck, running a hand through her ponytail, "It's a long story." She dismisses, "I want to hear it, all of it." I insist, I came here with one goal, one way or another I'm gonna get what I want.

A vote is really appreciated 🙏