Concious | 016

Priah's POV

5 days.

That's how long I was in a coma for.

It felt so scary, but I also feel like I remember nothing, because I literally don't.

"Oh shit, she's awake!" I hear someone whisper-yell.

"Hold on, give her a minute." Another voice says, this one unfamiliar this time.

My eyes open and I blink quickly to get my vision to focus. The silence of the room is so loud, yet so quiet. My eyes fully adjust to the light and I look around.

"Priah!" I see my mom run towards me, but a man stops her.

"Hold on, Mrs. Travis. She just woke up." I look to my left to see a doctor talking to her.

My mom, being the persistent woman she is, ignores him and grabs my hand.

I can't help but feel a sense of emotions wash over me and my eyes flood with tears, but I blink them back.

"Mom?" I say quietly.

"It's me, honey, it's me." She says.

"What happened?" I ask, looking around the room which I now see is in a hospital.

"Priah? Hi, I'm Dr. Rowley. Me and my nurses have been taking good care of you since you've been in your coma." The man says.

"Coma? What the f~" I start to shout, but I wince in pain as I try to sit up, but a sharp pain hits me in my ribs.

"Miss, please stay calm. I'll explain everything. Do you know why you're here?" Dr. Rowley asks.

"No?" I furrow my eyebrows and shake my head.

"Priah, I don't know how to say this, so I'll just say it. You were high on drugs and you went driving on the highway and crashed. You've got a concussion, a broken arm, a fractured rib and lots of bruising on your bones." He says.

"What?" I hear his words and my heart drops. "B-but I've been sober. I've been doing so good! This can't be happening!" Tears start dripping down my cheeks as I speak.

Ever since my dad died, I've struggled with substance abuse as a coping mechanism. Unhealthy, I know. But I've been sober for almost a year. What the fuck happened?

"Baby, it's gonna be okay." My mom says to me, her voice shaking as she tries to hold in her tears while she rubs the side of my cheek.

"You're not in any kind of trouble, no one else is hurt, but you will have to be in rehab for a little bit. We're going to get you the help you need." The doctor tells me.

"Fuck, is my car wrecked?" I ask.

"Priah, you could've died and you're worried about your car?" My mom shouts.

"Mom, I'm sorry, but I'm broke. I don't have the money for these hospital bills and a new car!" I say to her.

"You don't have to worry about that. I'm taking care of it." She says and I shake me head.

"No, I can't let you do that." I tell her.

"Pri, I'm taking care of it." She repeats.

I start to open my mouth to continue to argue, but the doctor interrupts me.

"I'll give you two a minute." Dr. Rowley says before walking out of the room and shutting the door.

"Priah, I'm just glad you're safe and okay. We'll talk about this later, okay?" She sighs.