6

This was the first time I ever ran into someone from my past since I've been on the streets. I never told anyone my true identity. Not even Daddy nor Jasmine knew who I really was. With this short hair cut and grey contacts, I didn't even look like Gina. How did he even remember me? Marcus was a neighborhood friend when I use to live on Highland Ave. It's been so long since I've seen him. He pulled the car over and parked. He looked at me as if in disbelief, grabbed me, and hugged me as if he didn't want to let go. I could not hold it in no longer, I broke down.
"What, what happened? I mean how?Gina talk to me!" He yelled as I continued to cry.
"Gina it's been so long! Why did you move, please tell me what happened? How did you end up here, like this?"
"Like this? A prostitute? Life Marcus, life." I said sharply.
"Yes. Please tell me, you were captain of the cheerleading squad and in the top ten in our class. How did you end up on the streets, Gina?"
He looked so concerned and hurt. I've never opened up to anyone. I've never told a soul about my past. But for some reason I felt so comfortable with Marcus.
"And what happened to you Mr. Star Player and Quarterback of the year, didn't you get a scholarship? How did you end up in the streets?" I said rolling my eyes.
"Truth is, I lost my scholarship fucking with a broad named Ashley. Trifling lit' tramp bitch. We fell asleep in my dorm and I woke up to her going through my jean pockets. I choked her ass out and she reported me to the Dean. They kicked my black ass out of school. After that I never went back or even attempted to go back to school. Mama wasn't going, with me not being in school she kicked my ass out and I been on the streets ever since. I ain't have no help out here so I had to get it on my own. I threw away my dreams fucking with that bitch, til this day I haven't allowed my heart make me fall in love with another female."
"Who is Ashley?"
"You wouldn't know her if I told you."
"Over one female?"
"One was all it took. I lost way too damn much. So tell me. Tell me how you ended up here, 'Cassie'?" He said looking up at me.
I took a deep breath and opened my mouth to talk but the words never came out.
"Relax, Gina."
"Last year around this time I was working on my Master's in Pharmacology." I paused.
"And what happened? What went wrong?"
"My step daddy." I said as the tears started to flow again down my face.
"My step daddy," I repeated. "He stopped paying my tuition when I started to fight back."
"Fight back?"
"When I turned 13 and started maturing. Hips filling out and breasts started to grow, he started to molest me. Before then I had never been with a guy. To keep me quiet he promised me he would kill me and my mama. And he gave me money. Almost every night wen my mama left for work he would come into my room. The next morning before I woke up he would be gone and there would be money left under my pillow. I never wanted for anything. I was scared, I didn't know what to do my mama wasn't making enough to make ends meet and he was the breadwinner. I knew it was wrong but I didn't know what else to do."
"Oh my God Gina, I didn't know."
"How could you, he kept me away from all guys, he said I was his. My senior year he made me go to prom alone and threatened to slit my throat if he found out I was with a guy."
"But what about your mom, did she ever suspect anything?"
"Once I tried to tell her, she told me to shut my fucking mouth and stop lying. I was going to make her lose her man and if I did we would be on the streets. So I never tried to tell anyone else. My mama ended up having a stroke a couple months later, and he put her in a nursing home, so he could have his way with me. He moved us in a big house on the outskirts of town. When I got to college I stopped coming home on the weekends from school. Once he made a trip to my school and tried it again and this time I fought back. Soon after he left, I got evicted from my apartment & started receiving letters of past due balances from the school. I eventually had to withdrawal from all my classes. I didn't have close family. Once my mama got with him he cut off all our ties with our outside family. I didn't have anywhere to go. Started staying from house to house. And I ended up here, on the streets."
"Damn." That was all he could say. Could've sworn I seen a tear drop before he turned his head and looked back out the window as the rain continued to come down.