20

I thought about Daddy as I laid in bed. Maybe Jasmine was wrong and he really did miss me. How could I trust her after the shit she pulled? For all I know she could be a hater like the rest of them hoes. I felt so alone in this cold ass world. No family and no friend. The one friend I did have, he was gone. Hadn't heard from him since I've been here. Could he had been that upset with me? I missed him, I really did. I missed the fun I had with him and way he made me smile when we were together.
My strength was returning and I kno I'd be leaving here soon. My case manager found me a place to stay. Should I go back to Daddy's house? Atleast I knew I had a guaranteed home and I had nothing to worry about. How would I survive in this women's home, I don't know nothing about anything. Curtis didn't let me work so I had no work ethics and no work experience. Maybe they would teach me all of that at the women's center.
The nurse entered the room, telling me it was time for therapy. I grabbed my cane and headed to rehab. After 30-40 minutes of therapy. I could see a figure standing in the mirror watching me. I couldn't make out a face. Maybe it was another patient. I continued my therapy. After therapy I returned to my room. To my surprise there was a beautiful case of flowers there waiting for me. The other ones Daddy bought had died and been thrown away already. I guess he sent me some more, I felt so special. I climbed back in bed and reached for the card. There was no name or return address. The message read: I miss you. Hope you get better soon. Hmmmm, it had to be from Daddy. I smelled the flowers and instantly fell in love with their sweet aroma. I watched the television for a hour or two and went on to sleep. I was awakened by a voice.
"Hey pretty lady. Wake up!"
I opened my eyes and to my surprise it was Marcus. Damn, did he look good. I missed him so much, but where the hell had he been?
"Whassup stranger, haven't seen you in decades." I said rolling my eyes.
"Don't even go there shorty," he said laughing. "I been here every night."
"Every night?! Marcus you are full of shit."
"No bullshit, pretty lady I'm serious! I've been coming here every night and watching you sleep, been paying the nurse at the nurse's station and security to let me in after visiting hours to see you. Who you think been paying these hospital bills?" He said winking his eye.
"But why tho? Why are you doing all of this for me Marcus?"
"I like to watch you sleep," he said giggling "naw I told you I see potential in you, your worth way more than the situations you put yourself in. I got something hooked up for you when you get out of here, it shouldn't be much longer. I seen you walking earlier.
"That was you in the window?"
"Yea I been watching you make a comeback. Promise me you won't go back Gina, he damn near killed you! You don't need that shit in your life! You need to get out and make something of yourself."
"I won't," I said almost unsure. I didnt know what I wanted. Marcus made a good point. But Daddy said he missed me and he was sorry. Ugh.
"Gina I'm serious, I'm not gone keep tryna help you if that's what you want to do with yo life. I'm not the one to judge, I'm just saying look at where it got you. Gina you been here for months. The nurses didn't even think you were going to make it, when you got here. You were unresponsive for 3 or 4 weeks. Come on now you gotta be smarter then that, then this nigga dropped you off on the side of the street like you wasn't shit!"
"Okay, Marcus, Okay! I get your point. You don't have to throw it in my face."
"I'm not tryna throw it in your face pretty lady, I'm tryna make sure you don't go back. And don't worry he gone pay for this shit!"
"What do you mean Marcus? Please don't do anything crazy!"
"Exactly what I said, and I brought you something too." He said digging into his pocket. It was a cellphone.
"Take this, my number is already programmed in it. Hit me up whenever you need me, okay? No matter when or what time, I'll be hea or where ever you need me to be."
"Okay, Marcus....."
"We'll I'm bout to go talk to your case manager and let her know you won't be needing that women's shelter."
"Why? Where am I gonna go?"
"Don't worry, pretty lad-" he said before being interrupted by some pretty ass yellow chick walking through the door.
"Hey baby," he said to her as she hugged him.
"This is my friend, Gina. Gina this is Mariah, my girl."
Well I'll be damned !