Chapter 1: Reading it Over

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

—Eva's POV—
"Kara, where are my keys?" I yell, pushing the couch cushions onto the floor. The sound of them dangling comes from her bedroom door. She walks into the main room with a face mask on, her normally pale skin is a light green.

"You would lose your head if it wasn't attached to you," she says as I mock her words rolling my eyes. I thank her as I take them from her hands.

"I'm running late for this meeting. My boss called me right in the middle of my workout," I complain, shoving my tote bag onto my shoulder, "I might not make it to dinner tonight, but I'll let you know," I tell her opening the front door. She looks at me like a whirlwind. Instead of saying anything she just gives me a thumbs up. I feel like all I've been doing recently is working.

As I step out of the subway, I take a right speed walking in the direction of the building. The skyscraper stands out over the city. I might as well set up a bed for how much I'm here. I dig my badge out of my bag before taking the elevator up to the higher floors. I check my email for the conference room almost bumping into someone.

"Slow down, I can practically see a smoke trail behind you," Stella giggles as I step out of the elevator. When I stop in front of her desk I finally catch my breath, feeling my cheeks lighting up, "Why are you here?" She asks looking at my schedule.

"Last minute meeting. Are they in there already?" I ask looking toward the only lit-up room.

"Yeah, they rushed in there. I didn't think it would be something to do with you," she says giving me a weird look, "don't tell me you're getting fired," she jokes making me smile.

"If only," I tell her as she hands me my organizer. I thank her before walking to the door, when I walk in there are some execs I've never met before.

"Eva, come on in," Mr. Hues says as I take a chair. He flattens his hands on the table as the two women sit across from me, "Eva, this is Candace Price the head of Pacific Records, and her assistant Hailey," he introduces as I lean over the table to shake their hands.

"Nice to meet you," I smile as they start grabbing papers from out of their folders, "I wasn't sure what you needed for this meeting since it was so last minute," I tell Mr. Hues.

Instead of talking to me, he turns directly to Candace as he stands up from his seat. He moves over to a small beverage cart he keeps in the corner, "Eva, she's one of my very best," he says as I sit there completely confused. The assistant slides over a document and I glance at it, the main title reading confidential.

"What is this?" I ask picking it up to read further.

"We have a client who needs good publicity. Basically, you would be posing as their girlfriend in order to achieve it," Hailey says spinning her laptop around. I read the headlines.

Joe Jonas Kicked Out of Band Practice AGAIN!!

Has the popular Jonas gone too far?

Joe Jonas Hates his Fans!

"I'm sorry. Why would this boost his career? If he's an asshole, shouldn't he...I don't know get a life coach," I tell them shoving the contract back over to them.

"This is an opportunity to boost our cause," Hues says as I cross my arms over my chest, "They are offering $10,000 upfront. Every time you're seen in public it's another 500 dollars. After a year they are giving us 30,000," he explains sliding the contract back in front of me.